Wednesday, December 06, 2017

anzu shiso fuumi

Recently Hankyu Department Store had a Tohoku fair.

We picked up some bento for dinner (Yonezawa beef for me and salmon for Satoshi), iburigakko and anzu shiso fuumi.

If you recall, the iburigakko is a smoked pickle from Akita.

The anzu shiso fuumi (literally means perilla flavored apricot) and is a sweet-sour pickle/jam of sorts.

The taste reminds me of prune mui, a preserve we have in Hawaii.

We first tried this in Aomori, and reconnected with it at the fair.

This version is made by Kariya Shokuhin from Akita.

The owner, Mr Kariya, was a very friendly and good salesman.

So far, we've eaten it as is with breakfast and also chopped it up and added it to yogurt.

These apricot are also grown by Mr Kariya and he makes these with honey and shiso (perilla).

I think the syrup might be good on ice cream or pancakes.

What are you enjoying these days?

3 comments:

jalna said...

Really does look like "apricot mui"!

Rowena said...

I would never have thought perilla and apricot as a combination, but it actually sounds good. I've had thyme and apricot and was surprised at how well they match together.

K and S said...

so good Jalna!

Thanks Kirk!

I agree Rowena, but I guess when you think that ume is similar to apricots, then perilla makes a lot of sense :)

Take care everyone!
Kat