Wednesday, June 14, 2017

snack pine

I picked up this teeny Okinawan pineapple called "snack pine" to try.

You are apparently supposed to pick off each "nub" and eat the fruit attached to it...kinda like artichokes?!

Since I thought that way would be kinda p.i.t.a (pain in the a)....I tried peeling it like a normal sized pineapple....

It wasn't as easy as a normal sized one.

In fact, there were still lots of hard outer parts on the pieces I cut.

The fruit is super sweet though.

I've tried planting the crown, so we'll see what happens...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds so interesting, picking off the nubs and eating it. I wonder if it is what we used to call sugar pine some 50 years ago when I worked in the cannery. I always thought it was such a waste to can such delicious fresh pineapples!
I use a vegetable peeler to shave off the parts that I missed when cutting the skin and eyes.
Sure hope it grows. Even if it doesn't fruit, it should make a nice plant!
v

Rowena said...

I've seen a tiny pineapple here but didn't notice if it was in any way like your sugar pine - maybe I'll try one out.

jalna said...

How cute!

K and S said...

my cousin worked at the cannery one summer, V, will try the peeler next time I clean another pineapple.

hmm wonder if they are the same, Rowena...

indeed Jalna :)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks like sugar pineapple; my Dad's side of the family is from Lana'i so we used to eat that all the time when visiting....really sweet.

K and S said...

Thanks for the info Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat