Sunday, July 03, 2016

permanent absentee ballots

A couple of years ago, I signed up for permanent absentee ballot voting.

It was excellent because they would send the ballots to my address in Japan. The downside was that I usually had to pay postage to send them back, but at least I got to vote.

Well, apparently for this election year the state laws have changed and now all permanent absentee ballots can only be sent to the address that your voter registration indicates, not the mailing one (overseas), unless you re-register for the absentee ballot and give them your overseas address.

The letter was dated June 9, and I just got in on the 30th.

I filled out the form and sent it in on July 1st with my mailing address as our Japan address, not realizing that in August there is the primary election for Hawaii.

So...I think my primary ballots may be sent to Japan (while I am still here in Hawaii).

I called the City Clerk's Office and was instructed to send in another application (to change the primary election mailing address to my Hawaii address) OR can "walk-in" to vote absentee at City Hall starting on August 1st...I'm thinking to do the walk-in.

Dunno what will happen with my general election ballot, where it will be sent, but this whole thing on the first couple of days back here has been stressful and confusing.

I feel like I am being penalized for living overseas and wanting to exercise my right to vote.

UPDATE: I received an absentee ballot at my address in Hawaii. Satoshi also informed me that one was sent to our address in Japan....I'll be voting in Hawaii before I return to Japan.

No comments: