Tuesday, July 07, 2015

jar salad

Trending these days are jar salads.

You layer your favorite veggies, dressing and other goodies in a jar.

Put the dressing and heavier veggies at the bottom and the lighter ones on top. Then before eating, give it a shake and then eat it straight from the jar or turn it out into a bowl.

The "trendy way" is to put your salad into a mason jar.

Me, I put my salad into a 14 oz (400 ml) Luminarc Jar with a plastic cover.

My layers: red bell pepper, orange carrot, yellow carrot, purple carrot, wilted swiss chard, diced red onion and quinoa.

Dressing: herb vinaigrette

A word of caution...I've heard that since people make a lot in advance (like for a weeks worth of lunches), there are also problems with the salads spoiling and/or getting contaminated with bacteria, so just keep in mind the kinds of things you put into your jar for the salad and how far in advance you do this.

Also, with the summer heat, you might also want to put your jar salad into an insulated bag or keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready for lunch.

For this salad, I put it together after lunch, so it would be chilled by dinner time.

When dinner time came around, I turned my salad out into a bowl, it was easier to eat that way.

The combinations are endless and I hope you enjoy this.

It's really a fun way to eat the rainbow.

7 comments:

jalna said...

Whaaa? I didn't know carrots come in different colors!

K and S said...

yeah Jalna, I just noticed them in the last year or so :) have you seen purple cauliflower?!

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

These are getting popular here too....

K and S said...

Kirk, interesting yeah?!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

just amazes me at how many uses there are for mason jars - fun idea!

K said...

Love jar salads - looks so pretty with all of the layers!

K and S said...

really fun idea Rowena, especially for picnics or BBQs :)

indeed K!

Take care you two.
Kat