Friday, December 19, 2014

ginger molasses dark chocolate crinkles

I got the idea for these cookies from blog friend, Sheri, who got the idea from this blog.

The link above is for the full recipe. I cut the recipe in half for my cookies.

Ginger Molasses Dark Chocolate Crinkles (1/2 the recipe) makes about 12 cookies

50 grams flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/8 teaspoon clove, ground
112.5 grams dark chocolate, weighed then chopped
22.5 grams butter, salted
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, room temperature
32.5 grams light brown sugar
*granulated sugar and powdered sugar to coat cookies

Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, clove. Set aside
In a bain marie (over boiling water), melt the chocolate, butter, molasses & vanilla. Take off heat and let cool a bit.
On high, beat the egg and sugar until the mixture gets "ribbony"
Fold in the chocolate mixture
Stir in the flour mixture
Refrigerate the dough for 1 to 2 hours
Preheat oven to 325F (170F)
Whisk some cinnamon with some granulated sugar
Make 1-inch balls and roll into the granulated sugar mixture
Then roll the balls in powdered sugar
Place on parchment paper about 1-inch apart
Bake for 12-15 minutes.**
Cool the cookies a bit before transferring them to the rack.
Cool completely.

NOTES: these cookies are more chocolatey than spicy. I left out the salt because I used salted butter. Next time I make these I will double the amount of spices. Also, I will chill the dough for 2 hours, as the dough was too soft to handle after 1 hour. Since it was too soft to handle, I used a scoop and "plopped" each ball into the sugars, rolling them around using spoons...
**My turntable spins the cookies, so I didn't rotate the pan, and I baked them for about 15 minutes. If you are baking them in a regular oven you need to rotate the cookies, baking them 6 minutes, rotate the pan and bake for 6 more minutes or so.

What are you baking these days?

2 comments:

Rowena said...

tasty gingerbread!

K and S said...

indeed Rowena :)

Take care!
Kat