Thursday, July 24, 2014

koko head cafe

Went to check out the newly opened Koko Head Cafe with my two aunties. This restaurant is in the old 12th Avenue Grill spot and they only serve brunch.

We waited close to an hour for a table. FYI: Your whole party has to be there to be seated.

We shared the following dishes: The cornflake coated french toast this comes with billionaire’s bacon,creamy black pepper maple, frosted flake gelato.

Pillows of french toast coated with cornflakes then deep fried. Kinda reminded me of malasadas...so good!

Kitchen sink salad...this changes daily and depends on what ingredients they have.

This particular day was a "green goddess" theme.

Loved the dill in the dressing.

We wondered how they got the cucumbers to become "stars".

The Don Buri Chen...Miso smoked pork, five spice pork belly, French-style scrambled eggs, house-made pickles, chicharron, sushi rice.

Our chicharron had been sitting while we were finishing up our salad, so this was hard.as.rock.

But, the smoked pork and the pork belly were awesome!

The place is quite noisy so don't expect to have much conversation. Just take in what everyone else is ordering.

There was one party of older people and the guy pulled out his smartphone. The waiter asked him, "Would you like me to take a photo of you folks?"

And the guy said,"Nah, I just wanted to take a picture of the food!"...too cute!

Despite the wait and noise, the food is good...I hope to bring Satoshi here.

I'll be back.

Koko Head Cafe
1145C 12th Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone:808.732.89.20
Open from 7:00-14:30

5 comments:

jalna said...

Looks good!! But I hate to wait.

Dawn said...

Koko Head is famous Top Chef Leanne Wong's place. I am so jealous! Check out her twitter feed to find out what's cooking, and where in HI

Rowena said...

Maybe it's just me but....when I read the name "kitchen sink salad" my stomach turned. I'm thinking of all the kinds of foods (vegs, meats, shellfish) that I used to prep at places where I worked, and how we always used the large kitchen sinks to rinse our hands off whenever needed. Plus we drained the excess bloody liquid from the steaks and stuff!

K said...

Looks good! I love the cucumber stars too!

K and S said...

lol Jalna!

Thanks Dawn!

sorry to give you such a negative image Rowena :0

it was K!

Take care everyone!
Kat