Sunday, June 15, 2014

peanut butter chicken salad

I saw this on Jalna's blog and scribbled down the recipe to try.

Anyway, this recipe was so easy to do, I just marinated it the night before and popped it in the oven before dinner.

I turned this into a salad. Was so good.

Here's the recipe if you want to try.

Costco's Peanut Butter Marinated Chicken Thighs : 4 servings
4 chicken thighs
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon crushed chili flakes (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water

Wash and dry chicken, then score to ensure the marinade penetrates the chicken
Pour all the condiments into a re-sealable bag and massage.
Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours
Preheat oven to 350F (180C), bake on parchment paper for 30 minutes (boneless skinless), 40 minutes for bone-in (or until meat thermometer reads 165F)

NOTES: I used 1 boneless skinless breast instead of thighs and sliced it into 6 pieces (I didn't score the meat).

I also cut this marinade back using 1 clove garlic, grated.

My peanut butter doesn't have sugar in it, I used 1/4 cup.

And since this recipe calls for brown sugar I just put in 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed).

I used 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 tablespoons water.

The crushed chili, I just measured by cupping my hand.

I also used a whole lime because it didn't have that much juice or zest...boo!

I mixed the marinade before putting the chicken in. The recipe says to massage, but I had put my chicken into a ziploc container, so I flipped the chicken over in the marinade every time I opened the refrigerator door and remembered.

For the salad, I used lettuce, carrot, zucchini, red bell pepper & onion...oh, and some curly parsley.

I sauteed the zucchini, red bell & onion in some olive oil.

I left the carrots raw for crunch.

I drizzled some of the drippings from the baked chicken onto the salad then topped it with the chicken (I used 2 pieces for each person).

With the remaining 2 pieces of chicken, I'm thinking of shredding it to making sandwiches with it.

This was easy and delicious. Kinda like satay chicken sticks.

I think the next time I make this again, I will bake it in a dish, so that I can keep more of the sauce, to pour on rice!

9 comments:

Tamakikat said...

This sounds good Kat.

K and S said...

hope you like this TK!

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Oooooh, looks so good!!

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - I used to make a version of this from an old recipe in one of mom's cookbooks....I gotta go dig it out.

Rowena said...

This reminds me a lot of an indonesian peanut butter chicken that I made....when I was still a kid living at home. Wow, what memories, I'll have to make this one for MOtH.

K and S said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Jalna :)

ooh I hope you can find it Kirk!

Take care you two.
Kat

K and S said...

ooh nice Rowena, I hope MotH likes it :)

Take care!
Kat

K said...

Ooh this looks tasty!

K and S said...

if you try this, K, I hope you like it :)

Take care!
Kat