Wednesday, December 04, 2013

so-min champuru

The other day, I was looking in my pantry and realized I had a lot of somen to use and thought I could make champuru with it.

In Okinawan, so-min (soh-mean) means somen (angel hair pasta-like noodle). Champuru means "stir-fry".

The Okinawan cookbooks that I have, had some recipes for so-min champuru but they looked rather "plain" and colorless...

So, I jazzed it up with some colorful veggies...

So-min Champuru : serves 2
1 bundle of somen
cabbage
orange bell pepper
maitake
spam
pepper
olive oil

Cook your somen no longer than a minute and a half, rinse and set aside.
Cut veggies and spam into bite size pieces
In a frying pan, heat oil and stir-fry veggies and spam, if you want your cabbage a little softer, cook longer.
Add some pepper
Toss the somen in and coat well.
Serve

NOTES: so easy and delicious. I didn't add any salt because I was using spam, but if you want, you could add some shoyu or salt. Definitely will be making this again.

7 comments:

K said...

Looks delicious Kat, I love somen!

Rowena said...

You gotta deal with somen like I gotta deal with pasta! Totally my fault though, because when get $al€, I can't resist stocking up even if I already get. Mmmmmmh...spaaaaam!

K and S said...

I love noodles K :)

yeah, I usually buy too much too, Rowena, but it is because I forget what I have in my pantry :p

Take care you two.
Kat

Unknown said...

Yum! Is this like a warm version of somen salad (like is often eaten in Hawaii)? Before I ate somen salad I had only ever eaten it dipped in tsuyu, cold, in summer. I have lots of dried somen in my pantry too, so this looks like a good thing to try in the winter months. Thanks!

K and S said...

no they aren't similar, Kate, I hope you like this Okinawan dish :)

Take care.
Kat

Fiona said...

I love maitake!! I had it for the first time in Japan and ever since, i've loved them with a little rosemary and olive oil.

K and S said...

we love all sorts of kinoko, Fiona :) hope you get to try different types!

Take care.
Kat