Wednesday, November 20, 2013

sabzi and stuff

The other week I was looking for some kind of veggie side dish to accompany a canned butter chicken.

I'll talk more about the canned butter chicken another time...

Looking through this cookbook, I found two really easy recipes.

The first was a kabocha sabzi. From what I could find on the web, it is a stir-fry of sorts.

Kabocha Sabzi: Serves 4
1/4 kabocha, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
cilantro (to taste), chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
salt to taste

Steam pumpkin until soft
In a pan put the oil and heat on medium
Add the cumin seed and when it becomes fragrant add the cilantro, salt & dry spices
Toss the steamed kabocha in this spicy oil and coat well

NOTES: I didn't have cilantro, so I omitted it. Also, I didn't add the salt. This was really easy. The sweetness from the pumpkin and spiciness went really nicely with the canned butter chicken.

The second recipe was easy as well.

Coconut Flavored Cabbage : serves 4
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon fine coconut
1/4 cabbage, chopped roughly
salt to taste

In a frying pan, heat the oil on medium
Add the cumin seed, when it becomes fragrant add the coconut and cook until a light brown
Add the cabbage and salt and cover, turn heat down to simmer
When the cabbage is wilted, take off the cover and turn the heat up to high to evaporate the liquid

NOTES: I didn't have coconut in the house, so I used my coconut oil in place of the coconut and oil instead, the coconut flavor was really light but still very delicious. I omitted the salt in this recipe as well.

I'm definitely making both of these again.




2 comments:

Rowena said...

that recipe for the kabocha sounds very much like the one I make for pumpkin soup. Never would've thought to just apply the combo of flavorings to steamed pumpkin.

K and S said...

ooh in soup form sounds good too, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat