Wednesday, May 01, 2013

le beurre noisette

Last Friday, one of the largest shopping areas opened in the Umeda area of Osaka. Grand Front Osaka.

200-something shops and restaurants. As if we don't have a lot of places to shop and eat at in the area already.

Many shops and restaurants are "first timers" in Japan as well as "first timers" in the Kansai area.

Honolulu Coffee for one (first time in Kansai), as well as an Italian restaurant in Waikiki called Taormina (first time in Japan).

We also got a Dean & Deluca shop, which I mentioned in yesterday's post, and they also have a cafe.

Sunday, I had some time to spend while waiting for Satoshi to finish his German class, so I thought I could have some breakfast at Dean & Deluca (because I've done just that in Tokyo) and then maybe wander around the new shopping area afterwards....

Well, I got there at 9:30 (half an hour before opening) and found thousands of others with the same idea. In fact, there was a line to get in to the shopping areas!

10:00 came around and I found out I didn't need to be standing in line after all...boo!

I also found out that Dean & Deluca doesn't do morning service only lunch...boo!

Hungry and a bit peeved with the lack of organization...I found a creperie right across from Dean & Deluca.

I quickly grabbed a seat and ordered.

A salted butter caramel crepe...650 yen. And for an extra 500 yen, I could add the soup set which was a bowl of soup and a cup of coffee or tea.

I wasn't too sure about ordering soup with a sweet crepe, but looking at the menu a cappuccino by itself was 500 yen, so to get my money's worth, I chose the soup set and chose coffee.

The soup was a potato cream soup served warm.

After I finished my soup, it took awhile after that for my crepe to come out but the sweetness went nicely with the strong black coffee.

They also serve galette (the crepe's savory cousin). These actually looked quite hearty.

It was only afterwards, I found out that the main shop is actually in Paris.

I'll be back...probably after the crowds dwindle down a bit though.

Le Beurre Noisette
Grand Front Osaka, Umekita B1F
Phone: 06.6485.7795
Hours: 10:00-22:00

6 comments:

K said...

That's too bad about the line/D&D not serving but that crepe looks great!

K and S said...

at least it all worked out in the end, K :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Ooooh, I hate crowds and lines Kat! I'm glad you found a good place to eat though. One can never have enough new places to try!

Rowena said...

Yes too bad about the crowds but man....200+ new shops! That place must be HUGE!

Kathy YL Chan said...

We're getting our first D&D in Hawaii soon...they're building inside the soon-to-be Ritz in Waikiki. So exciting!

K and S said...

crowds and lines that's what Japan is about, Kirk :)

it is HUGE, Rowena, come visit soon :)

I saw that Kathy, now only if Trader Joes would cross the ocean!

Take care everyone.
Kat