Wednesday, October 31, 2012

konnyaku patties with ginger ankake sauce

Made this for dinner the other night using my food processor.

First I thinly sliced some sweet potato (like half). Tossed it with 1 tablespoon of oil and cooked it in a 220C (425F) oven for 15 minutes.

When it was through cooking, I sprinkled it with some salt and then stuck it under the broiler for 5 minutes.

For the patties, I put a tablespoonful of ginger from the ginger syrup, a 2-inch piece of zucchini, 1/4 onion, 60 grams of konnyaku and 90 grams of beef-pork mince and pulsed it until I got the consistency I wanted (finely minced).

Then I added one egg and mixed it well in a bowl.

In a non-stick pan, I added some oil and spooned out 6 patties. The mixture was quite wet and I think a lot of liquid came out from the konnyaku, but just be patient before flipping the patties over.

I also made a ginger ankake sauce. Ankake is a thick sauce.

For the sauce I combined 2 tablespoons of ginger syrup, 2 tablespoons of shoyu, 3 tablespoons sake (rice wine) and 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine) in a pot.

I brought the mixture to a slight boil and added a slurry of cornstarch and water.

When the mixture turned clear and the consistency was like runny honey, I took it off the heat.

I added some diced carrots and red bell pepper when I served it.

For veggies, I steamed some broccoli and served it with some leftover sesame dressing.

NOTES: The sweet potato chips weren't all crispy, I think it may be because I didn't coat each one with oil nicely. The patties weren't all konnyaku, but they were delicious with a nice ginger flavor. The sauce would definitely be nice over some rice.

I'll definitely be making this again.

p.s. Have a safe & happy Halloween everyone!

5 comments:

genkitummy said...

I've never heard of konnyaku patties. Sounds like a good way to lower the calories and fat.

K and S said...

I only used a little konnyaku, Genki, you could probably take out the meat I used and sub it with tofu or something...hope you like this if you try it :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

It looks like a great and varied meal, nice job!

Rowena said...

The colors are so pretty in that meal, definitely something that I am already "eating" with my eyes.

I sort of forgot that Halloween was today, even if by now it is an imported holiday that has definitely established itself in Italy. How big of a deal is it in Japan?

K and S said...

Thanks K!

Thanks Rowena, Halloween is getting bigger in Japan as each year passes, though they already have Christmas stuff out in some places...

Take care you two!
Kat