Saturday, September 01, 2012

chinese style boiled peanuts

It was my first time making boiled peanuts the other day.

Previously, I posted a recipe here, which I realized was too tedious, because I found an easier recipe.

So, here is the recipe I used.

Boiled Peanuts, Chinese-style : "Pupu & Potluck" by Jean Watanabe Hee

1 pound raw peanuts
1 to 2 tablespoons salt
2 to 3 star anise

Rinse peanuts several times or until the water is clear.
Cover peanuts with water in a pot.
Add salt and star anise.
Bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer, covered for 1 to 2 hours, frequently stirring peanuts.
Taste peanuts for doneness desired.
Do not overcook.


NOTES: Be careful when testing, the peanuts are super hot and if there is liquid inside the peanuts, you could get burned.

To make the peanuts, I used 2 tablespoons of Hawaiian salt, which is a coarse grain. I also used 2-ish star anise, Mom's star anise was broken in pieces.

I didn't cook this for 1 hour, instead, I cooked it for 45 minutes then I turned off the heat and let it "steep" in the pot for 15 more minutes.

I like my boiled peanuts half-cooked, so they have a little "crunch" to them.

They are a little messy because the liquid that seeps into the peanuts dribbles out (sometimes spurts out) when you crack it open.

These were good warm as well as after they were cooled.

Tomorrow, we have a football game-- UH (University of Hawaii) vs. USC (University of Southern Cal) on TV, so you can bet we'll be snacking on these while watching the game (if we have any left by then...).

6 comments:

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - I usually use my pressure cooker to make boiled peanuts....but for some reason, they never quite taste as good as those "back home".

K and S said...

pressure cookers scare me Kirk ;)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I like the addition of star anise in these, and I bet they disappeared in no time!

K and S said...

I'm glad my family likes them "crunchy" too, Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat

Shirley the Bridezilla said...

I also add a handful of Szechuan pepper corns in my boiled peanuts. :)

K and S said...

ooh that sounds like it would add a spicy kick Shirley! will have to try that next time, Thanks!

Take care.
Kat