Thursday, June 07, 2012

foodie saturday

Did you get to see the transit of Venus yesterday? We did. Well at first, there were clouds here and there.

This "event" wasn't as popular as the solar eclipse last month, but the great thing about this one was that it was all morning, so you could "check-in" with it off and on.

I gotta say though, "Venus is so teeny in comparison to the sun!" When Satoshi first looked at it, he was like "Where? Where?"

Apparently the next time to see this is 2117?! so, I hope you all got a chance to see it...

This past Saturday we headed to Umeda to have lunch before Satoshi's German language class.

We chose Ken's curry, in the Yodobashi Camera building because there was no line to get in.

You buy your meal ticket from the machine outside the shop and pass it along to the staff inside.

I chose the spinach curry topped with cheese...780 yen for the curry, 100 yen for the cheese.

Satoshi went with the seasonal vegetable curry...850 yen. This was topped with some takenoko (bamboo shoots) as well as other veggies.

My only peeve about this place was that it took so long for us to get our orders. There is a guy in the center of the "O" shaped counter that fills a small pot with some curry and passes it into the kitchen where they cook everything.

I swear they were cooking everything from scratch with the amount of time it took.

While I enjoyed the taste of the curry, which was a little spicy, their service was a little too slow and price-wise I think they were a little higher than the curry we had last week.

After lunch, Satoshi had some time before his class so we headed to the basement of the Yodobashi Camera building for some coffee at Barissimo.

Apparently the name is a fusion of "barista" and "-issimo" (which apparently means the best in Italian)

Satoshi had a regular coffee while I went with their cafe cioccolata (a hot chocolate with a shot of espresso)...rich and chocolatey!

Then Satoshi was off to his class and I was off to do some window shopping.

What did you do last Saturday?

Ken's Curry (UPDATE: 2016 no longer in business)
Yodobashi Camera Umeda Building 8F
Umeda, Osaka
Phone: 06.6292.4003

Barissimo (UPDATE:2018 no longer in business)
Yodobashi Camera Umeda Building B1F
Umeda, Osaka
Phone: 06.6375.5681

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last Saturday we were in Umeda also. We stayed at the Hilton and before heading to Kansai we were prowling the basement of Osaka Station for sweets.

Alan

K and S said...

sounded like a great Saturday Alan :)

Take care.
Kat

Phil said...

Earth/Venus is about 1/330,000 the size of the Sun!

I checked out Collaborate with Chen Kenichi in Yodobashi The Dining last weekend. The mabo tofu was very decent, although a little corn starchy. The desserts were also very decent. Was the first time I had been to the new food hall. They got rid of that crazy Comme Ca cake place?! I'll have to check out Barissimo next time I'm around. I still don't have a go to place for espresso coffee in Umeda. Any suggestions?

K and S said...

we were bummed that the majority of comme ca is gone because they made our glasses, Phil. As for an espresso place, I like Standard Bookstore in Chayamachi Plus. They have WiFi and it is rather quiet there, plus no smoking :)

Take care.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Oh! I've been to Yodobashi Camera in Umeda! I just have a huge curry craving. That's going to be our dinner tonight.

K and S said...

I'm sure your homemade curry is going to be delicious Nami :)

Take care.
Kat

Phil said...

Just read your post on Standard Bookstore - omg, I wish KFC served potato and gravy here! Thanks for the tip. I'll try to check it out this weekend.

K and S said...

lol yeah I miss those mashed potatoes and gravy sometimes too, Phil :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Slow service for curry would be so strange- wouldn't it have been simmering for hours by that point?? haha

K and S said...

K, I know, right?!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Didn't even know about the Venus thing either! That's what happens when you bring a laptop on vacay, but then forget about the italian to french plug converter thingy.

Spinach curry sounds yummy and woohoo I have all the ingredients!

K and S said...

I bet your spinach curry will rock, Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat