Tuesday, December 27, 2011

setsuden

Ha! I guess I did jinx myself, because yesterday, we had some hail and some flurries...woot!

Anyway, trending word these days is "setsuden" (set-sue-den) it is the fusion of two words.

Setsuyaku means to conserve. Denki is electricity.

Since the massive earthquake and tidal wave earlier this year, all of Japan is trying to conserve electricity so that we can help pass on some of it to the Tohoku (North Eastern Japan) areas.

In Osaka, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. we're asked to cut back at least 10% of our usage.

Since I try not to use the heater as much as possible, I've been wearing my down vest and I've been really making use of this...my yutanpo.

Filling it with boiling water, it stays hot for about 4 hours.

I know in my previous post, I said you can use the water to wash dishes or your face, but my yutanpo has had rust from the beginning, so I don't use the water, just dump it out.

Not sure if I'm conserving water or gas by doing this, but at least I'm doing my part to conserve electricity.

7 comments:

Mariko said...

It's amazing how much life has changed since the earthquake. I imagine you'll be separating before the earthquake to after the earthquake in your memory for a long time to come. I think the whole WORLD should be doing things like this too, actually. It's good you're being thoughtful about it.

Rowena said...

Good for you on conserving however you can. Xmas day it was 10°C out...that is hot for this time of year. I don't think we'll get any snow this year at ours.

K and S said...

Thanks Mariko :) I try.

That is warm Rowena! this morning there was a little white on the rooftops but nothing more.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Sheesh and I'm grumbling about it being in the low forties here.... I got no reason to so that.

K and S said...

it's just not winter without some white stuff Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

You are always so good about conserving, recycling, etc. ;-)

K and S said...

I try Deb :)

Take care.
Kat