Friday, October 21, 2011

soup weather (kinda)

The weather is surely taking its time to cool down. Early mornings or evenings have cooled down quite a bit but during the daytime it is still quite summery.

Because it has been nippy in the mornings, we've started having soup for breakfast, with a crusty baguette or in this case, a slice of sweet potato sesame seed bread, it is a nice way to start the day.

If I haven't made a batch of soup from scratch, then some mornings I cheat and serve some instant soup.

Apples are in season, so sometimes we have that too, depends on what is on sale at the market.

Tea or coffee depending on what I feel like making that day.

The other night I made this soup from leftover pumpkin, sweet potato and spinach.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to try: makes about 4 servings

1/4 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 kabocha (pumpkin) de-seeded, peeled
1/2 sweet potato, cut into cubes, with skins on
4 tiny stalks spinach, cleaned and cut
1.5 cup water
1.5 cup chicken stock
1 pinch thyme
sprinkle of salt
couple grinds of pepper
1/2 cup milk

In a pot, heat the oil and add the onions and pumpkin and sweet potato.
Saute until the onions turn transparent
Add the water
Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender
Add spinach, chicken stock and thyme
Add salt & pepper
Whiz with hand-held blender until smooth
Turn off heat and stir in milk
Serve with your favorite bread

NOTES: This was delicious, thick and a little sweet from the pumpkin and sweet potato. I'm sending this soup to Deb, for her Souper Sundays, a great blog event with soups, sandwiches & salads. Be sure to check out her blog on Sundays to see what everyone has sent in.

It's Friday here, hope you have a nice weekend!

12 comments:

K said...

What a great combination for soup! I've been eating a lot of soup for lunch, but that is mainly due to laziness, unfortunately, haha.

jalna said...

I love soup. What a great way to start the day!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'm so glad we've hit soup weather! Yours looks wonderful; I'm getting out my soup pot next week and joining you~

K and S said...

LOL K!

it is a great way to start the day Jalna :)

cool Lizzy :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

The cooler months are the time for soup. I love all the different Nabe they have in Japan during the winter :)

Japan Australia

genkitummy said...

I like all the great ideas you have for cooking/using seasonal vegetables! Now I know another recipe that incorporates kabocha.

K and S said...

nabe is good too J-A!

thanks Genki :) your comment made me smile.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Very nice Kat! It will soon be the most "souper time of the year"....

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, you are so right :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Soup for breakfast works for me. ;-) This one looks creamy and delicious--thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays.

Rowena said...

Soup season is definitely on at ours. 6°C in the mornings and gets to around 10°C tops during the day! Now all we need is snow...hee hee.

K and S said...

thanks for always organizing that event Deb :) so much hard work involved.

man, I can't wait for snow Rowena, though I know Satoshi hopes we don't have any :)

Take care you two.
Kat