Thursday, June 09, 2011

gokan

Last Sunday, Satoshi asked me what kind of dessert he should bring home after work. I asked him to get the pudding from Gokan. I've written about Gokan in the past and we've eaten at their cafe in Kitahama too.

In the Hankyu Department store, I've also walked past the Gokan counter many times and this pudding had caught my eye.

Not just because it looks delicious...but because they are served in these beautiful ceramic tea cups.

The custard pudding is marbled with green tea pudding. And instead of the usual liquid caramel on the bottom, I think the caramel was made with kokuto (literally black sugar or raw sugar).

The pudding is then topped with some sweetened adzuki beans, some shiratama (rice flour dumplings) and some matcha (green tea) gelatin cubes...oh, and a whole strawberry.

We really liked this, it wasn't too sweet and the portion was just right.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my (jaw dropping to the floor) does that LOOK GOOD!!!

jalna said...

WOW!

Tea Sets for Sale said...

yum this looks so good. i bet a cup of your favorite tea would finish it off perfectly.

m m said...

Oh, that looks so ono! I love anything with azuki beans.

Rowena said...

It looks so pretty!

OkiHwn said...

You get to keep the cups?

K and S said...

Thanks Anon!

Thanks Jalna :)

definitely TSS :)

Thanks mm, me too :)

Pretty indeed Rowena :)

yeah Nate, when you buy them, they come in the cups :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

DROOL. I was going to just write that but oh my...I'd love to eat some of that... Haven't had azuki for a while... time to go to a Japanese market!

K and S said...

I hope you get some azuki Nami :)

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

Just caught up on your posts Kat. I'm envious of your eating adventures.

K and S said...

Thank you Barbara, I'm very lucky

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It is such a pretty desert and I love that it is served in a teacup.
;-)

K and S said...

I can't wait to drink some tea from the teacup, Deb in Hawaii!

Take care.
Kat