Monday, May 30, 2011

imo to daikon

There is a typhoon passing through this weekend, so we've been having rain since about Friday...lots of rain (and wind).

After Satoshi's class yesterday, we met up at NU Chayamachi to try out a buffet...Imo to Daikon (ee-mow-toe-die-con--which literally means potato & radish in Japanese).

Most buffets give you a time limit and this one gives you 2 hours...wow! that was more than enough time for us.

They had many vegetable dishes and more fish than meat dishes...they even had a delicious tomato soup! which I wouldn't mind trying to re-create.

That photo was my first round...I went back a couple more times after that, trying a little each time.

Intriguing were the desserts...soy milk pudding topped with honey sweetened tomatoes, okara (soy lees) black bean cake...the honey sweetened tomatoes, well, they tasted like tomatoes...good but kinda not what I expected.

The cake was really moist, tasty...I wouldn't mind trying to re-create this too.

The price of the buffet kinda made us hesitate at 2400 yen (about US$24) per person, because we usually don't eat our share. And this price doesn't include alcohol. The food is delicious, but I think this is a "special occasion" type of place.

Imo to Daikon (UPDATE: 2016 no longer in business)
NU Chayamachi 9F
Chayamachi, Osaka
Phone: 06.6373.7477

8 comments:

jalna said...

I usually don't eat enough to warrant the price of a buffet too, but Wendell makes up for it :).

Deb in Hawaii said...

Buffets are a little spendy for me too--but a great way to occasionally splurge and fun to try new things. ;-)

K and S said...

yeah, sometimes Satoshi makes up for it too Jalna :)

Thanks Deb in Hawaii, it is a nice way to try different items.

Take care you two.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

What an interesting restaurant. I've been to Osozai restaurant in Yokohama too, which was very popular when I visited a few years ago. I was surprised how healthy they are and how popular it was for women (mostly housewives). WE really love root vegetables don't we?

Rowena said...

The last all-you-can-eat buffet that I had my eye on was a sushi place (20€ per person), but the restaurant stopped it and I can only imagine that the reason why is because they were losing money! I can imagine italians would stay all night until the placed closed just to get their fill of sushi.

K and S said...

I think you would enjoy this place Nami :)

wow 20 euros and sushi?? can understand why they stopped it, Rowena.

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

My problem with buffets is I always fill up on the first things I see- and then later I notice the "good" stuff that I missed, haha.

K and S said...

I sometimes do that too K!

Take care.
Kat