Wednesday, March 09, 2011

mabo moyashi

I think the cold weather has got me craving spicy foods, but then again, when the weather is warm I crave spicy foods too, so...

Anyway, I saw this recipe in a booklet that came with a magazine, ESSE March 2011.

The recipe was really easy and spicy.

Mabo Moyashi adapted from ESSE March 2011 : Serves 4
150 grams minced pork
2 packages moyashi (about 400 grams)
1 tablespoon canola oil

sauce:
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tablespoon miso (soy bean paste)
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
1 teaspoon tobanjan (chili paste)
1 nub ginger (grated)
1/2 clove garlic (grated)

1 teaspoon sesame oil
sprinkle sesame seeds

Wash moyashi taking out the bean skins, drain well
In a frying pan, heat the canola oil and add the pork, brown while breaking it up.
Add the sauce and let liquid evaporate
When the liquid is almost gone, add the moyashi and toss around just to heat through, you want it to still be "crisp"
At the end, add the sesame oil
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with lots of rice

NOTES: The original recipe called for minced ginger and garlic but I didn't want to take any chance in biting to either one, so I grated them. I liked this because it didn't take many ingredients or time. Plus, it was really delicious.

I'm making this again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy
it must be delicious

http://monsieurmauro.blogspot.com

KirkK said...

That looksl ike a nice recipe Kat, almost like a spicy namul!

TM said...

Looks great, love moyashi, thanks for sharing!

Japan Australia said...

Looks really good, and I think any time of year is good for spicy food!!

Japan Australia

K and S said...

Thanks Mauro :)

Ooh never thought of namul Kirk :)

If you try it, I hope you like it TM :)

Thanks J-A :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

manju said...

We love mabo flavors, and it's nice to have another option when tofu you don't want or have tofu. Taken!

K and S said...

I hope you like this Manju :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks like excellent spicy comfort food. ;-)

K and S said...

Definitely need rice for this one Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care.
Kat