Thursday, April 29, 2010

mini mini

Recently we've had some rainy (and cold) days.

When I know in advance that the weather will be rainy, I usually stock up on groceries and stay indoors (sometimes I even stay in my pjs).

For one rainy day, I made mini peanut butter chocolate cups.

I've seen what I think are tedious versions where you "paint" the inside of the cups with the chocolate.

I wasn't about to do this, so I did it "lazy man" style...dollop of melted chocolate (60% + a little milk chocolate) at the bottom, dollop of peanut butter, dollop or two of melted chocolate, put into refridge to cool.

This was good but next time, I think I should add a little more peanut butter.

For another rainy day, I was flipping through a magazine and got the idea for this one.

Chopped up cookies and chopped up pistachios. The original recipe called for butter and some cream, but I omitted them (because I didn't have cream and didn't want to add the butter. The butter was to make a "crust" with the cookies and cream to make the chocolate rich and more like ganache.)

Instead I melted some 80% dark chocolate and poured them over the bits of cookie and nuts.

I'm making both versions again. They were delicious and the perfect size.

*Today is Showa no Hi (Showa Day) It used to be called Tenno Tanjoobi (Emperor Hirohito's Birthday) but after he died, it was then changed to Showa no Hi. It is also the start of Golden Week.

8 comments:

Avo said...

Looks yummy! I think I'm going to make these this weekend using speculoos and nuts. Thanks for the idea!

K said...

Yum those look delicious! Mixing cookies and nuts reminds me of the Momofuku Milk Bar Compost cookie in NYC - pretzels, potato chips, marshmallow, all sorts of stuff mixed in :o)

Kim said...

That looks great! Better than the wimpy ones you buy at the store. I'm going to try this. :)

K and S said...

sounds delicious Alesa!

THAT sounds like an awesome cookie K!

hope you like it Pocky :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

genkitummy said...

Mmmm...those combinations of ingredients sound good! i like your "lazy man" style of making them. It sounds like it would take a lot of time to paint the cups.

Dennis K. said...

I don't have a huge sweet tooth but wow that looks so good! And I think my favorite culinary word is 'dollop'.... :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum--I love PB cups and the other a fun way to use up some nuts, cookies, dried fruit, etc. ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Genki, sometimes I think "lazy" is my middle name :)

Dennis, dollop is a fun word isn't it??

Definitely a great way to use up stuff in the pantry Debinhawaii :)

Take care everyone!
Kat