Wednesday, December 09, 2009

shirasagi & 'auku'u

Remember the aosagi? (grey heron)

Well, after I posted that, my Aunty M wrote to say that she sees a similar bird on her walks in Hawaii.

She sent me a photo of it and here it is...in Hawaiian it is called 'auku'u, in English, black crowned night heron.

The other day on one of my walks from the market, I got a chance to get a photo of the shirasagi (white heron but more commonly called egret).

Next, I have to get a photo of ducks flying, so that Satoshi will believe me that they do...Happy Wednesday!

9 comments:

jalna said...

Near my house is a small island in the marina that we call Duck Island because it's loaded with ducks. I see them flying once in a while (especially if they want to escape from my dog).

K and S said...

So cool Jalna :) even if they are trying to run away from Kona!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Beautiful bird photos. That's funny Satoshi doesn't believe ducks fly. ;-)

Chibog in Chief said...

my daughter loves watching birds too, we have quite some here in Provence most of the time I want to take a snap of them but my daughter wants me to catch them lol

K and S said...

I hope to get a shot of the ducks flying Debinhawaii :)

catch 'um Dhanggit, catch 'um!

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I had no idea Hawaii had a species of heron. At least for Kauai, it was always those wild chickens (they LOVE hanging out at Walmart) and mynah birds all over the place!

K and S said...

I still remember your post on those chickens Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat

Pandabonium said...

I used to love to watch the 'auku'u around Ma'alaea on Maui as they hunted on the mud flats there. They are beautiful in the air too. Nice pics.

K and S said...

Thank you PB, must have been fun to watch on Maui :)

Take care.
Kat