Thursday, December 31, 2009

10 photos

Last year I participated in this meme featuring 10 of my favorite photos.

This year, I thought it might be a nice way to end the year while looking back at 10 of my favorite cooking experiences. (not in any particular order)

10. Yakionigiri soup. This was a dish I recreated after our trip to Hokkaido in February...a great way to warm up on a chilly morning!

9. Nikumaki Onigiri. This dish was inspired from a photo I saw in a magazine. It was a little labor intensive, but I loved the flavors.

8. Milk Jam. This was my first time making my own milk jam or dulce de leche. I enjoyed this and am definitely make this again.

7. Tarte Tatin. This was my first time making and eating this. It was a delicious upside down apple pie and also good with vanilla ice cream.

6. Vegetable Hash. Sometimes good food comes from experimenting. I had envisioned crispy hash, but the results were a little moist, still it was great with an egg on top.

5. Walnut Shrimp. The first time I tried this recipe it was REALLY labor intensive. I revised it and came up with an easier version.

4. Veggie Curry. This was a colorful way to plate curry. Even though I used pre-made roux to make the curry itself, I loved the bright colors on my plate.

3. Greek Nachos. You will never go back to "real fake" cheese after eating this.

2. Ahi Poke Slider. This was a nice way to have poke. I think you could serve this any time of the year.

1. Ayun's Salad. This salad was so simple and the flavors intense. I'm making this again next summer.

Overall, 2009 was a great year. Sure, we had some bumps along the way, but for the most part, it was good.

While my kitchen experiences weren't as frequent as I would have liked, I think the ones that I did have were mostly good experiences.

Thank you readers, I look forward to your comments and emails, they really brighten my day.

Though the economy isn't too good, I am happy that we get to gather around each other's dining room tables virtually, sharing ideas and experiences.

I hope 2010 will be a good year for everyone--healthy & prosperous.

Thanks 2009 and Gochisoosama!

p.s. this was the moon on 12/30/09...it is supposed to be full on the 31st, but I'm not sure what the weather will be like, so I snapped this while our skies are clear...

10 comments:

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - It's nice that you're making this a tradition.

Rowena said...

Great 10 post...and that milk jam...oh yes! I read your other post on the books and was immediately embarrassed -- hardly read anything this year but will try to remedy that in 2010 if I fly back home.

Dennis K. said...

I'm always impressed these all come from your kitchen! The veggie hash sounds great. Heck even without the egg! ;)

Unknown said...

Happy New Year's Eve Kat!

It's always a strange thing in Hawaii because practically every where else in the world has their New Year's Day before us! Hahaha. :P

K and S said...

thanks Kirk :) Happy 2010!

it just shows you were busy in the garden and with the boys, Rowena ;)

*blush* aww thanks Dennis :)

lol that is funny Rick! Happy 2010 :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Hannah said...

It sure seemed like you had a fun year with cooking and eating! I was particularly excited by your milk jam post, though am yet to attempt it myself...

Happy New Year! I love reading your blog :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

You take such great photos it must have been hard to pick only 10!

Happy New Year Kat! Here is to a wonderful 2010.

K and S said...

Thank you Hannah, I hope you get a chance to try the milk jam :)

Definitely hard to pick 10 Debinhawaii, you should try the meme once :0

Take care you two.
Kat

Unknown said...

I've been really enjoying your blog although just started posting :)

Tracy

K and S said...

Thanks Tracy :)

Take care.
Kat