Tuesday, August 11, 2009

thinking outside the box

Awhile back, I posted about thinking outside the box...here.

I know during the summer here, people lose sleep because it is so hot but this was kinda ridiculous...the other day at the convenience store I ran into a doozy of a cashier.

I set my purchases on the counter then said, "shirushi onegaishimasu" (seal/sticker please) meaning that I just wanted her to put a seal/sticker on my purchases and I wouldn't need a bag.

She then turns around to the huge selection of cigarettes behind her and attempts to find a brand of cigarettes called "shirushi"....

Seeing this, I then say in Japanese, "no, I just want a sticker on my purchases." She says, "oh, shirushi (seal/sticker)"....like I was pronouncing it wrong or something...sigh...

Hope she isn't like this everyday...did I make you smile? hope so.

9 comments:

KirkK said...

Sounds like you ran into a space cadet!

K and S said...

KirkK, scary yeah?

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Too funny! Maybe she doesn't hear please very often and that threw her off! ;-)

Admin said...

LOL. Buy her a cup of strong coffee.

Deb said...

Okaaay. . . do they have japanese pakalolo there - b/c i think she was smoking some! :)

Deb said...

oh, i'll respond here to the other posts too!

bummer you can't watch the final episodes of next FN star - hope the reception gets fixed soon.

lol - i feel the same when i get home...back to reality of where i live. for me it's the lack of kindness in people's faces. in hawaii, everyone smiles at you, and here people are so serious - even if i smile at them. really makes me homesick. . .

Anonymous said...

sorry to say, I feel this is a bit mean spirited. Its easy to see how this misunderstanding happened and nothing to be making fun of.Its not easy working as a store clerk.

Rowena said...

Maybe she was affected from the summer heat? ^-^

K and S said...

I don't think it may help Mikuru.

he he, Deb, I hear there are many growing the stuff in their closets! I notice the non-smiling here too, no aloha!

Anon, it may be hard working as a store clerk, everyone in Japan makes excuses for those who work in convenience stores or "arubaito" (part-timers), but bottom line is she is getting paid, she is a representation of the company she works for.

maybe Rowena, maybe... :)

Take care everyone.
Kat