Monday, August 17, 2009

cool

Saw this on a commercial...make some somen then chill it.

The best way to chill it is, after cooking the somen, rinse it in some ice water. If you chill it in the refridge, you'll end up with a clump of somen...not pretty, plus you'll still need to use water to separate it.

In a bowl, top your somen with some shiofuki konbu (seaweed that is seasoned then dried), some green onion (I added chopped okra because I didn't have green onion), and if you have some shaved bonito add some of that too (I was too lazy to look for some in my pantry).

Then for the "soup", add some chilled mugicha (barley tea), I used some chilled bancha (roasted green tea).

When the shiofuki konbu mixes with the tea, it gives just enough saltiness to the dish.

Simple, cool...lunch!

7 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks like a refreshing and easy lunch--perfect!

Dennis K. said...

Wow, using mugicha sounds very interesting! I love watching Japanese food television!

K and S said...

easy and cool are two words I am loving these days Debinhawaii :)

Thanks Dennis, I hope you get a chance to try this :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Very cool-sounding. I've never had this before. I'd love to taste it.

Paz

genkitummy said...

the konbu and tea idea sounds neat. I'll have to try it. I wonder if I could use green tea.

2kamuela47 said...

So cool and refreshing!

K and S said...

come on over, paz!

if you try it with green tea, let me know what you think, genki :)

thanks laura :)

take care everyone.
kat