Wednesday, April 01, 2009

trattoria savani

There is a tiny Italian restaurant, Trattoria Savani, that is located directly under the tracks of our train line.

It had been several years since the last time we ate here (pre-blog), but on a weekday last month, while we were walking to another restaurant, the wind was whipping and icy, so Satoshi and I decided to pop in.

The interior was quite dark. The last time we were here was for dinner, so I couldn't remember what the interior was like then.

Satoshi and I both ordered the pasta lunch 1050 yen (about US$10.50) with dessert plus 550 yen (about US$5.50)

The lunch started with a plate of antipasti and soup. The soup really hit the spot and everything was delicious, though I would have liked to have more warm items.

Satoshi chose the hotaru ika (firefly squid) in a garlic sauce.

I chose the spring potatoes and peas in a tomato sauce.

The dessert plate was impressive. A cup of melon juice with some melon pieces inside. An apple tart, blanc mange, custard, and tiramisu, which had a nice swoosh of chocolate syrup.

It was nice to reconnect with this place.

Trattoria Savani
1-10-19 Iguchido
Ikeda, Osaka
Phone: 072.762.0100
Closed on Tuesdays

(UPDATE: as of Feb 2010, this restaurant is closed, though they do have another small restaurant right across the street).

12 comments:

Jenster said...

Wow, that was a pretty good value!

Jann said...

This looks like a pretty good Italian lunch to me~is this a popular place ???

KirkK said...

I agree pretty well priced. BTW, can you hear or feel the trains passing above you?

K and S said...

Thanks Jenster, we thought so too :)

I don't think it is too popular Jann, there weren't many customers when we were there.

Thanks Kirkk, you can hear it passing above but nothing shakes or moves when it is passing overhead.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

I'm trying to imagine a restaurant located under the train tracks...I wonder if the rent is more reasonable in such cases, especially since it's a restaurant?

Anyway, sounds like a great place to eat (loved the description of the dessert), and now I'll have to google firely squid because I've never heard of it!

K and S said...

Not sure about the rent Rowena, but there are many shops located under our train line. I've seen a music instrument shop as well as pet shop and other restaurants. The firefly squid are so cute only about 2 inches I think they are in season here.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Re: your comment on the bomboloni.

Wow! If you would put me right up there next to Leonard's or Champions then I am humbly grateful. I had Leonard's donuts but that was a long time ago and I forgot how they were, and I've never been to Champion's so...thanks for the compliment! :-)

K and S said...

Your photo was so ono-looking Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Lunch looks delicious and I love the little squid. Sounds like a great little place to pop into.

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, Satoshi really enjoyed it, I hope we get a chance to go back again :)

Take care.
Kat

manju said...

You guys eat so well! The name firefly squid is just perfect for those tiny guys... love it.

K and S said...

Yes our bodies show it too Manju :) those firefly squid are quite tedious to clean, so eating them out is the best way (for me not to have to clean them).

Take care.
Kat