Friday, December 05, 2008

update and some food

UPDATE: yesterday, the guy from the glass door shop called at 8:30 (I love shops that start early in the day, most places here start at 10:00!) I guess what happened with our door is common because as soon as he came over and saw the crack he told us (Satoshi had the day off) why it cracked.

Not sure if you can see it, but the door as some metal strips criss-crossing in the glass. This is in case of an earthquake, the glass won't totally crack and fall apart, only problem is that with condensation during the winter, the water goes in between the glass and door and rusts the metal strips.

Since our apartment faces the south, we usually get sun all year round, winter is no different, so our apartment during the daytime in winter is about 21C (69F), nice and toasty. This mixed with the coolness of outside was the makings of the cracked window/door.

He took measurements of the door and was out within 3 minutes...speedy! He says he'll probably be back today to replace the glass in the door.

Glad this was resolved within a couple of days and am glad were at home (and not on a trip) when it happened. Thanks everyone for your concern.

Okay, let's move onto some food....

Remember I had made vegetable soup? I had added some cooked rice and the rice soaked up all the soup overnight....my soup turned into risotto, heated up with a little cheese...delicious.

I recently received some shredded gouda from my student (Thank you!), I put some cheese with some ham between walnut raisin bread and made croque monsieur for breakfast one morning. I think I could have put more cheese but it was still really good.

Recently at Starbucks, I tried their short chocolate truffle, a rich dark hot chocolate. No need to have sweets with this drink....400 yen (about US$4)

I was recently in Daiei and picked up a chinese bento. This one had mabo tofu, mabo nasu (eggplant) and some glass noodles. It was very spicy and there was lots of rice on the bottom...it was a great lunch. 320 yen (about US$3.20)

Wow, it is Friday already, hope you have a good weekend!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, those last two are for me!

K and S said...

Thanks Lori :) The bento was really spicy but delicious!

Take care.
Kat

Phoebe said...

hahaaha thought so, only large and unusual cracks in the window (that is not caused by someone smashing through or else it would have popped out) would be because of hot and cold air fighting to expand and "shrink" the width of the window. Hope that the window will soon be fixed!

WOW! Nice food! I am always scared to try risotto seeing as I don't see how the 'soaked' rice combination works (much like porridge)? Word of advice?

K and S said...

Usually uncooked rice will soak up liquids but I guess cooked rice does too, Phoebe. Risotto is made by adding stock to uncooked rice, the rice plumps up and you add your favorite toppings and cheese. I've heard of people doing risotto "the lazy way" by adding cooked rice to some stock then adding their favorite toppings. Hope this helps.

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Back home it's called wire glass. Primary reason for it's use is fire protection, though it helps on security too.

K and S said...

Thanks Nate!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Nice use of soup leftovers--looks yummy as does the croque monsieur. Actually it all looks good. I'll have to check the SBUX here to see if they have the "chocolate truffle"..

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, I hope you can find the "chocolate truffle" where you are :)

Take care.
Kat

Phoebe said...

right so it depends on what you prefer in terms of flavouring. So the rice produce a slight taste of the stock or whatever you cook the stock with?

K and S said...

Phoebe, most people use arborio rice I think it gives risotto a chewy texture when cooked. yes the flavoring is up to you and the rice will soak up whatever stock you use and give it that flavor.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your blog...living vicariously as I roll as a babymama :) here in Texas.

K and S said...

Aw thank you MizFit, I wish I was a babymama like you :)

Take care.
Kat

Rachael Hutchings said...

Okay, I'm SO jealous! Starbucks in Japan always has the fun stuff on the menu. Starbucks here in the US just finally added what is the equivalent to the Japanese Starbuck's Premium Hot Chocolate to the menu.

K and S said...

See, you have to come now, Fuji Mama :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow Starbucks is actually less than some places stateside. Nice photo's Interesting informative blog.

K and S said...

Really? that is interesting foodphotoblog!

Take care.
Kat