Thursday, May 01, 2008

fried gobo (without frying)

Remember I showed you this fried gobo?

Well, I found a recipe to make it. (Have I told you how much I love the internet? I think I have...)

The best part about this recipe, is that you don't have to deep fry anything! (yah!) And it only uses 1 teaspoon of oil, which cuts some calories and keeps you from messing up your kitchen.

This recipe was adapted from Cookpad : Serves 2
1/2 a stick of gobo (burdock) (about 6-inches)
1.5 teaspoons of cornstarch
1 teaspoon olive oil

Sauce: 1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)

pinch or two of sesame seeds

Wash the gobo, and peel with the back of your knife.
Cut as thin as possible, cut pieces again in half so that pieces are about 3 inches long.
Wash the gobo and dry well.
Put the gobo in a plastic bag with the cornstarch and shake it!
Add the oil and shake it some more, coating it well.
Spread gobo out onto foil and put into toaster oven for 15 minutes.
In a saucepan, bring the ingredients for the sauce to a boil.
Add the toasted gobo into the sauce and coat well.
Take out of saucepan and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

NOTE: The original recipe was really vague, so I kind of had to ad-lib here and there. It also said not to peel the gobo, but the gobo I had was really dirty, so I peeled it with the back of my knife. I didn't use a plastic bag, I used the ziploc container to shake the gobo. Also, all toaster ovens aren't alike--you may have to lessen the time. I think the next time I try this recipe I'll try whittling the gobo so that the pieces come out thinner and also maybe add some chili flake for heat.

10 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

I love gobo so much, esp stir fried with carrot strips too.

K and S said...

Thanks Jaden! stir fried with carrots is nice too :)

Take care.
Kat

Alice @Ogni cosa bella รจ viola said...

Hello Kat & Satoshi, i've found just now your blog cause i'm looking for some japanese food recipe.
This recipe of fried gogo sounds delicious, i really like the taste of burdock and it's so healty ( unfortunately in Italy i can hardly ever find it).
So in Italy we usually eat steamed and dippend in some butter, or with risotto, or better fried (but we don't use soy sauce)!

Take care!

Alice from Italy

K and S said...

Hi Alice,
Steamed or dipped in butter and with risotto sounds delicious. I should try making risotto and adding some gobo!
Take care.
Kat

bourgogne said...

if i could just find some gobo here then i'd be able to try your yummy recipe. i have gobo seeds but i think it's too early to plant or late! i dunno.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,
I love to eat gobo but for some reason I have never tried cooking it myself.
I better try this one though, it doesn't seem like a recipe for gobo could get much easier - thanks! :)

K and S said...

I'm leaving the farming to the farmers, Bourgogne! Hope your gobo grows well :)

I hope you get a chance to try this, Lori, maybe for your first time you could buy the pre-whittled version? :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - You gotta love the Internet! I can't imagine not peeling gobo, that would be a new one for me.....

Thistlemoon said...

I have never had gobo, looks good though!

K and S said...

The person who added the recipe said that there are nutrients in the skin of the gobo, Kirkk, but I don't think eating dirt should be part of it :)

I hope you can find it at your farmer's market, Jenndz, great for fiber :)

Take care you two.
Kat