Wednesday, March 12, 2008

starbucks vs starbucks

Just thought I'd point out several differences which I've noticed about Starbucks in Hawaii and Japan.

First off, you should know that I never used to go to Starbucks when I lived in Hawaii. My love of coffee started with Lion Coffee and it is still my first choice.

In Japan, Starbucks is called "sta-ba" or "bucks", whichever way is a shortened version.

When I moved to Japan, I was amazed at the many coffee places Japan had. But trying to find a place that was "smoke-free" was like finding a needle in a haystack, until I stepped into a Starbucks.

So, here's what I've been noticing...

In Japan, we have the beverage size "short", actually I like this better than the "tall" cups--I can never finish a "tall" here (in Hawaii).

The desserts served in Japan are French looking and dainty. The ones in Hawaii are just too huge!

In Japan, they ask you if you'd like your coffee in a mug (to save on paper cups). They don't ask you that in Hawaii (or at least for the three times I've gone they didn't).

In Hawaii, they have Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity). I don't think they have this in Osaka...yet.

After finishing you go to the wastebasket and sort out your trash in Japan--down to the liquids. Oh, and in Japan, if you happen to be leaving while an employee is walking past you, they'll take your tray (service, huh?). In Hawaii, you just throw everything into the same bin, no sorting to recycle.

All in all, both are expensive.

Does your Starbucks do something different where you are?

p.s. that white blob in the photo is a petite vanilla bean scone (US $.95, which is actually cheap!). The icing is quite sweet, but it keeps the scone underneath quite moist. It went well with black coffee.

UPDATE: 3/21/08 took Whitney's advice and ordered a "short" in Hawaii. They don't advertise it and it is really the perfect size! (Thanks Whitney!)

12 comments:

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Not from where we live...but we did checkout Starbucks when we were in Lima...and much to our surprise it was the same as the US. In Lima you can get a good cup of coffee for 2-3 Soles(3 soles = $1). At Starbucks it was over 7 soles, and the lattes ran up to 15/s.

K and S said...

Wow, Kirkk, that is pricey gotta love the local stuff over SB.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Hi Kat,
Your observations between the cultures are always interesting, but even more so when it concerns an american giant in a foreign location. I wish that I could put in my 2 cents worth but Starbucks would never make it in Italy -- NEVER! I like the fact that in Japan, they sort their trash; a wise move that Hawaii should start getting their okoles moving on.

BTW, Maddie says "Mille grazie" for the birthday wishes!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting looking scone. When I first saw it, I thought it was a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! :)

Anonymous said...

This is such an interesting post, I'm always curious about cultural differences and Starbucks seems like as good a place as any to do a comparison. I'm in NYC and my Starbucks sounds pretty similar to the one in Hawaii - huge servings of baked goods (I'd prefer a dainty size), etc. I wonder what differences there are in countries like Germany and England? Are there Starbucks there?


Ari (Baking and Books)

K and S said...

Thanks for sharing nek0! It is always nice to hear about what is going on in other parts of the world :)

I'm glad that Starbucks would never survive in Italy, Rowena. I'm looking forward to trying true Italian coffee someday :)

:) thanks Lori! A scoop of ice cream might have been just as nice with coffee.

I'm not sure if SB is in Germany or England, Ari, would be nice to hear from other though! :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat! I tried the vanilla bean scone and it was good. This morning I felt like having some Chai Tea Latte and the scone hit the spot. Take care!

K and S said...

Thanks for all the info, Nek0!

I'm glad you liked the scone Laura, I have tried the Chai Latte at SB (in Japan) and found it to be too sweet.

Take care you two.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

You're right about the Chai being too sweet, Kat. So I only got that drink once in a great while.

K and S said...

A treat once is awhile is nice, Laura!

Take care.
Kat

Unknown said...

I think you can order a "short" in the US but you have to ask for it-- they don't advertise it. I think in Japan they don't advertise the "venti" but I'm not sure if it is still available or not. I, too, love Starbucks in Japan because of the No Smoking policy-- despite not wanting to support huge chain businesses this makes them soooo appealing. I also have to admit that I like the flavors they have at Starbucks that many other coffee shops don't have (especially Chai). My Japanese isn't great so maybe Japanese places do this too and I've just never noticed (but I think not because Japanese people aren't so into the low-fat thing yet) but I love that I can get skim milk/non-fat lattes at Starbucks.
I have been living in Japan for not quite a year and a half and have become really interested in cooking and learning about new foods etc. I check out your blog every now and then-- thanks!

K and S said...

I'll have to remember about the "short" if I get a chance to go to SB again, Whitney. I hope you are enjoying your stay in Japan and I'm happy you are enjoying this blog too.

Take care.
Kat