Saturday, March 08, 2008

hawaii eats...and shops (tries to)

Today was the grand opening of Nordstrom's. It is their first store in the Islands and boy, was there a lot of hype about it.

Since my friend, Gaye had the day off, we decided to check it out.

What I didn't realize was that there would be a traffic jam even before I got close to the mall.

Not wanting to sit in traffic, I got off the freeway and found myself stuck in traffic in Kalihi.

Since I was near Gulick Avenue, I stopped in at Nanding's Bakery.

The last time I was home, we checked them out, but they were already sold out of their famous Spanish rolls.

Luckily, it was still quite early in the morning and they still had them. 3 for US $1+tax. How can you go wrong? Soft, buttery goodness. (I'm glad I had enough will power to save them until I got back home to share.)

So, how was Nordstrom's? Packed...the store seems smaller than Macy's and Neiman Marcus (which are both in the mall). I dunno, but it also seemed that everything was a little over hyped. Oh well, with all the local businesses that they pushed out for the land to build on, hopefully they are here to stay.

Have a good weekend!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think it's just a tad over hyped. Although the people they interviewed on the news this morning seemed to be having a ball. I think the highlight of my day would have been those fresh rolls - looks ono! :)

K and S said...

Lori, if you can make it to Kalihi in the morning, please do stop to get some of these, they will definitely help you forget about morning traffic :)

Take care.
Kat

bourgogne said...

i now have such a hard time with crowds, i'd go insane during a grand opening and i absolutely cannot stand traffic! - but i used to LOVE shopping at nordstroms. they have pretty good sales. or used to.

Anonymous said...

Nordstrom's not so packed....er, still in the crates. I was working there installing the fixtures.

Rowena said...

I'm glad I wasn't in your shoes when you bought the spanish rolls because I know that *I* wouldn't have had any willpower!

As for Nordstrom, I think I'm getting more cynical about hyped up stores as I get older. Just canNOT handle the crowds and pushing and shoving. Of course, if it were for food.... ;-)

K and S said...

aaagh crowds, reminded me of shopping in Japan, Bourgogne, or Japan in general, not necessarily shopping.

yeah, light fixture man! RONW! way to go!

the buttery aroma was kinda hard to handle while driving, Rowena!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Barbara said...

I love Nordstrom's stores. You been enjoying some fabulous food in Hawaii Kat.

K and S said...

Thanks Barbara, I hope you get to return to Hawaii for a visit soon :)

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat! Spanish rolls are my favorite and I don't think I would have had to will power either. That buttery aroma is unreal. As for Nordstorms it's all hype. I'm not into the crowds and all must be getting old. :o(

K and S said...

You sound like my mom, Laura :)

Take care.
Kat