Saturday, March 01, 2008

the alley

How long has it been since you've been in a bowling alley? (By the way, the Waialae Bowl in Kahala shut its doors last night for the last time.)

Growing up, I remember going to the Hilo Lanes (on the Big Island) to watch my Grandpa bowl. My brother and cousins would cheer him on, and on occasion, embarrass him with our cheering (to the point where he once told us not to come with him anymore.)

The very last time I'd been in a bowling alley though, was in my college days. Cheering on a then boyfriend, while studying my kanji (chinese characters) for Japanese language class the next day.

The bowling alley image that I have is one filled with cigarette smoke and black stuff on the chairs and floor. Touching the ball, your hands would get all black too. Not a pretty image.

So, you can imagine how surprised I was when my mom suggested we go pick-up some lunch from the Aiea Bowl.

With the new "no smoking" law in Hawaii, the smoke filled alley is now gone. The scoring desk is now replaced by these electronic devices. You don't need know how to score the game.

While I was happy about the smoke being gone, I was kind of sad to see that you didn't need to manually score the games anymore. Still, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves playing a game they love with their friends and family.

The restaurant in the Aiea Bowl is called The Alley. The decor is very modern. Mom had heard several good reviews of the place and was anxious to try them. Here's what we ordered:

Dad got their Tasty Chicken Sandwich (US $6.25 + tax). Two big pieces of spicy, deep fried mochiko (glutenous rice flour) coated chicken with shredded lettuce in a bun.

Mom got their Spring Salad with Tasty Chicken (US$8.20 + tax). This is served with a Creamy Thai dressing and croutons.

Mom and Dad were happy with the flavor of the chicken. Spicy but delicious. The coating was just enough--you weren't eating just coating, as some places make their mochiko chicken.

I got the Alley Shrimp bowl (US$8.95 + tax). The bowls are mini versions of the plates. Tender, juicy shrimp are sauteed in garlic, butter and a spicy jalapeno-like sauce. Served with your choice of white or brown rice. Tossed or mac salad. My tossed salad was also topped with the creamy thai dressing. The dressing reminded me of mixture of creamy oriental dressing and sweet chili sauce--delicious.

The food here is definitely delicious, a little pricey, but worth it.

The Alley (inside of Aiea Bowl)
99-115 Aiea Heights Drive
Aiea, Oahu
Phone: 808.488.6855

8 comments:

KirkK said...

mmmmm bowling alley food! brings back nice memories.

jasmine said...

Hi Kat

It's been ages since I've been bowling, but our alleys never looked that...nice!

I don' think I ever tried bowling alley food, but that shrimp bowl looks wonderful!

j

2kamuela47 said...

I remember ordering food from their restaurant before the renovation. The food was cheaper then and I remembered the food being real ono too. Have an awesome weekend!

K and S said...

Glad to bring a smile to you, Kirkk!

If you come to Hawaii, Jasmine, I'll take you :)

I've never tried the restaurant before, Laura, but my mom said they had great food too.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I also haven't eaten here since the renovation. I've been meaning to try it ever since my coworker brought the new take out menu to work to show me. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

K and S said...

I hope you like it when you get a chance to try it, Lori!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Oh yes those long ago bowling alley days. Actually, I used to hate it because it took FOREVER for my parents to get done playing. I just got bored so easily!

Kat I must say that you certainly do love your shrimp! Looks delicious!!

K and S said...

We used to get bored there too Rowena, that's why we used to cheer really loud and make fools of ourselves :) The shrimp was tasty and you had to suck the sauce from your fingers too!

Take care.
Kat