Thursday, February 14, 2008

henri le roux

Remember I went to the Salon du Chocolat, last month? Well, while I was there, I found Henri Le Roux's counter in the basement of the Shinjuku Isetan Department store (the same store that the event was held at) .

His C.B.S. (Caramel au Beurre Sale) is his most famous item. I had heard of them from my host-brother's wife, she is also a foodie and had given me a package of these which didn't last a day!

In the showcase, he also had other caramels, so I bought an assortment. There was Tartin (apple), Chocolat (chocolate), Framboise (raspberry), Orange & Gingembre (Orange & Ginger), as well as C.B.S. I like the original (C.B.S.) the best.

Today is Valentine's Day in Japan, the day when women give men chocolates, which I think is totally wrong, the giving should be both ways. Women shouldn't have to wait for their gift to be reciprocated (or not) a month later on White Day (March 14).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day!! I haven't tried Henri Le Roux's caramels, but I do love French caramel, especially the slightly salty ones..

Anonymous said...

wow! Those are delicious. Lucky guys. :) I wonder if the guys do give their girlfriend anything on this day in Japan?

Happy Valentine's Day !

K and S said...

You may get addicted to the C.B.S., TM. They are slightly salty and buttery. Some people don't like the slivers of nuts in them, but I think it adds to it.

Actually, White Day isn't as hyped up as Valentine's Day, CN, so I don't really think many women receive anything on this day :(

Take care you two.
Kat

Monique said...

I couldn't believe the craze in Japan, there was chocolate on sale everywhere I went! Knowing how much of a chocolate lover you are, I'm sure that's the best season for you!

K and S said...

I'm kinda happy to be away from it Monique as I'd probably go crazy buying everything, and yet kinda sad because I'm not there to buy everything. Oh well, can't have it all :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Wait, wait, wait...wait a minute. Where the women give men chocolates? A bit odd, seeing that they need to wait a month later! Egads! I'll have to google this White Day tradition....

Chibog in Chief said...

big kisses from my kitchen and a warmest message of love, happy valentine's day!!

ps, le roux caramel look divine :-) yummy

Parisbreakfasts said...

I tried his caramels and they were good but they didn't knock my socks off as I was expecting :(
What really disappointed me was his Caramel sauce stuff..it was full of chopped almonds! Completely defeating the smoothness texture that caramel should have. I really should do more tasting in France to find something I love..
Fauchon does have wonderful caramels in fact!

OkiHwn said...

When I go back to Okinawa I'll find three boxes of some kind of chocolate on my desk. From my three admin assistants. Happens every year even though I'm not there.

K and S said...

Rowena, I think in Korea it is a 60-day thing. I would still by myself the good stuff and give away the mediocre stuff :0

XOXO, Dhanggit! Happy V-day!

mmm, will have to remember to look for the caramels at Fauchon, PB!

Very nice, Nate!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Serge Lescouarnec said...

Found your 2 year old post while writing a short piece on Henri Le Roux C B S News: Butter once was a Luxury in Brittany, Kouign Amann means Butter Cake on 'Serge the Concierge'.
I will interview him soon.

Serge
'The French Guy from New Jersey'

K and S said...

Thanks Serge! I look forward to reading about your interview with him :)

Take care.
Kat