Sunday, January 13, 2008

omurice...omusoba

Omurice. This concoction can be found in many yoshokuya (Western style restaurants) here in Japan. It is a Japanglish word made by shortening the word "omlette" and putting it together with the word "rice".

Cooked rice is stir-fried with some veggies, chicken and ketchup--this is what the Japanese call "chicken rice". This is then wrapped in a thin omelette. And topped with more ketchup.

I made my "chicken rice" with no chicken, green peppers, onion, rice and a squirt of ketchup. Then made a thin omlette and draped it over the rice. (lazy way!)

I drizzled some tonkatsu (pork cutlet) sauce and some ketchup for a fast and easy lunch.

Another variation is called omusoba. This is yakisoba(fried noodles) enveloped in a thin omlette. I first tried omusoba at Marukai, a Japanese-American market in Hawaii. A lot of places in Japan, even Marukai, drizzle mayo on top, but I don't.

Both omusoba and omurice are delicious, easy and fast.

14 comments:

A Bee said...

Hi, what an interesting and fun blog. My kids will love to see your food! Will check back in often. We love to travel and I've just started logging our trips from last year.

Donna said...

I first saw omurice being made in the movie Tampopo, we couldn't figure out what the guy put on top of it and were surprised to find out it was ketchup! In the drama Kitchen Queen the chef makes omurice with their signature demi-glace sauce, which I think I would like a little better, I don't really care for ketchup.

Jenny said...

Oh boy, that looks so delicious! All of it!

K and S said...

Thanks Deborah and Missnoetic!

I think I prefer the demi-glace sauce on top too, Donna! Ketchup in the rice and ketchup on top of the omlette is a bit much.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow, everything in this set looks sugoi oishii desu! (Correct me on that improper Nihongo, please).

I never thought of putting Tonkatsu sauce over eggs. I'm intrigued!

That Omosuba (Yakisoba) dish looks great, too. Wow. Making me hungry now!

On that last dish that looks like eggs on soba noodles, what is that shaved-lookin' stuff on top? I KNOW it's oishii, but what is it? :)

These cold winter nights are, indeed, the perfect time for comfort like this!

K and S said...

Thanks Pomai! The shaved looking stuff is katsuo bushi (shaved bonito). I hope you get a chance to try these.

Take care!
Kat

Martin J Frid said...

Today I had omurice (omelette+rice) at Watami, my favourite izakaya restaurant chain because they have many organic dishes as well as seasonal foods! Soooo good.

Omurice... Maybe it qualifies as soul food here. Something basic, simple to make, yet savoury.

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Isn't Omurice what we used to call "fried rice omelette" back home? Of course your version looks much "neater".....have you tried Tonkatsu sauce on fries? Ok...I'm getting really weird now, better go!

Rowena said...

That is so interesting...the rice and/or noodles wrapped (eh, or layered!) in an omelette. Like your use of bonito. I've still got an unopened package and was wondering what the heck to do with it. Great eats Kat!

K and S said...

I've never tried Watami, Martin. I should go there one day.

I didn't know it was called fried rice omlette, Kirkk, but tonkatsu on fries sounds ono!

Hey, you can take stock from the bonito, make soup for your udon and then use the used bonito to make some furikake, Rowena!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Chibog in Chief said...

these are the kind of food i truly miss in japan!!! my fave of them is the omuraizu!! mine i love it with lots of ketchup!! hmm yummy!!

K and S said...

you should cook some up for lunch, Dhanggit :)

Take care!
Kat

test it comm said...

I have made omurice before but this is the first that I have heard of omusoba. I will have to try making it.

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to make this Kevin, so fast and easy.

Take care.
Kat