Wednesday, December 19, 2007

stollen

Last year I made stollen and posted about it here. This year, I found another recipe from a Japanese cookbook I have and tried it instead.

Stollen adapted from "Baked goods with Salt and Spice" makes 2 loaves
220g flour
50 g sugar
3g dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
20 grinds of cinnamon
1 egg
65 cc milk
75g butter

50g diced almonds
50g diced yuzu (citron) peel
50g dried cassis
handful of nibs

25g butter, melted
powdered sugar for dusting

Put the first 7 ingredients into a bowl, then add the egg and milk. Mix well.
Add the butter and with your hand start to knead the butter in. It will be hard at first, but with the warmth of your hand it will work itself into the dough.
Knead the dough a bit more.
Add the nuts, peel, nibs and fruit to the dough and knead.
When the dough comes together, put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the bowl and leave in a warm place to rise for about 1.5 to 2 hours.
When the dough rises 2-3 times the size, cut the dough into two. Take one of the pieces and flatten, fold into three overlapping the ends. Do this for the other piece.
Leave in a warm place for another hour.
Bake in 180C (350F) oven for 30-40 minutes, making sure that there is a nice brown color.
When the stollen comes out of the oven, drizzle the butter over the two loaves.
Dust with powdered sugar.
Enjoy!

The stollen in the cookbook looks a bit hard, like a country bread, but mine came out more like a cake/bread, with a nice muffin-top like crust.

Here is yesterday's sunrise...all peachy, orangy and warm.

9 comments:

creampuff said...

Mmmmmm ... Kat ... your stollen just gets better and better! It's beautiful!

Kathy YL Chan said...

Wow, awesome job Kat!!! I give you credit for making stollen - I've been know it eat quite a lot of stollen around the holidays, but never thought to make it myself!

Rowena said...

The fact that you mentioned the stollen as having more of a cake/bread texture is interesting because I've an italian type of xmas bread that is very similar. Nice!

Chibog in Chief said...

im not familiar with stollen, i would even admit i havent tasted one..but from the looks of it its a real festive bread..:-)

ps, i love your sunrise photo.;it reminded me of my mom she often told me when i was a kid that everytime the sky is peachy orange in color it meant i did a good thing and that God is rewarding me!!thanks dear..

K and S said...

Thanks Ivonne.

Thanks Kathy, I think I'm at the point where I want to try to make something at least once :)

Ooh, can you post about that Rowena? Would love to see what your bread/cake looks like.

I think it is German, Dhanggit. I've never tried the real thing either, just what is sold at Japanese bakeries. I love the story your mom told you about sunrises, will keep that in mind the next time I see another one :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to eat your stollen, watching that sunrise.

Paz

K and S said...

Come on over, Paz, I'll save you a piece!

Take care.
Kat

Pille said...

I love how you've got yuzu peel in your stollen recipe! My mum gave me a stollen tin for Xmas last year - you've reminded me that I should probably bake one for her this year :)
Happy Holidays!

K and S said...

Thank you Pille, I wanted to put some citrus peel into the stollen and happened to find some Japanese yuzu peel. I really like the taste of it in the stollen. Hope you get a chance to make one for your mum.

Take care.
Kat