Tuesday, December 04, 2007

furikake

Do you like to put furikake on your rice? I do.

Furikake is a combination of seasoned dried ingredients which you sprinkle onto your rice. I've had this book for awhile and with all the weird label switching on food items and betrayal of trust going on around here by some food companies and restaurants, I've gotten to the point where if I can make it, I'll try to instead of buying it pre-made.

Here are two furikake recipes I tried...

Matsu no mi to okaka furikake (pine nuts and bonito furikake) translated from "Furikake 101" by Hideo Makuuchi

100g pine nuts
1 pinch of katsuo bushi (shaved bonito)
2 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 sheet of yakinori (toasted laver)

1. Toast the laver slightly, then with your hands crumble it. Set aside.
2. In a pot, toast the pine nuts on low heat.
3. Add the pinch of katsuo bushi and toast until the katsuo is dry.
4. When the katsuo dries, add the shoyu and sugar, cook until everything is dried.
5. Add the laver, stir and turn off the heat.
6. Serve over rice.

NOTES: this furikake, turned out to be kind of sticky and didn't dry well. But, the saltiness and sweetness went really nicely with the toasted pine nuts.

Kare-ko to Almond slice furikake (Curry powder and Almond slice furikake) adapted from "Furikake 101"

15g sliced almonds
12g saki ika (cuttlefish)
5g sakura ebi (sergia lucens)
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon kinako (soy bean flour)
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley

1. Cut the cuttlefish to 5mm (about 0.19 inches/ 0.5 cm).
2. In a pan, roast the sakura ebi then grind with a mortar and pestle.
3. Roast the almonds, set aside.
4. In a small pot, add the shoyu, water and honey--heat on low.
5. Add the cuttlefish and sakura ebi.
6. When the cuttlefish and sakura ebi get dry, add the curry and kinako. Mixing well and making sure it doesn't burn.
7. Add the parsley and almonds, mix well and turn off the heat.
8. Serve over rice.

NOTES: this one was drier, I thought it would be a bit fishy-er, but it wasn't. The combination was delicious.

I hope to try more recipes in this book soon, they are quite easy and fast to make!

13 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

i want that cookbook!!!!

K and S said...

Hey Jaden,
You can get it at Amazon.com Japan. (Sorry it is in Japanese, though).

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you make your own furikake. Nice sounding cookbook you have.

Paz

Jenny said...

Wow, homemade furikake...that's great!

2kamuela47 said...

Interesting furikake. Hope all is well. We're still trying to find flights to New Orleans for the Sugar bowl. The game tickets are easy to get but to physically get there is another story. Take care.

K and S said...

Thank you Paz & Jenny!

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Laura! Maybe you should try flying to another city then driving to New Orleans? Just a thought.

Take care.
Kat

Rinshinomori said...

What a great book - thanks for pointing this out. I always make my own furikake whenever I have katsuobushi from making tsuyu. I usually only add sesame seeds, teriyaki sauce and not much more but after seeing your two furikake I want to try some more.

K and S said...

Hi Nona,

I hope to try more recipes from the book and share them with you.

Thanks for stopping by.
Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I typed in "furikake" into Yahoo search and yours was one of the first ones to come up. Interesting idea making your OWN furikake. It is hard to find such ingredients here in FL...as hard as finding pre-made furikake. Heck, it is a challenge to find a decent rice cooker in the US.

I'm bookmarking your recipes in hopes of trying them myself someday. THANKS!!

K and S said...

Hi Anon,

I hope you get a chance to try these recipes, they are easy and delicious!

Take care.
Kat

rowena said...

I knew you'd be in the googled results! I was looking to see if anyone had tried processing the nori in a spice grinder for a smaller cut. It worked great, so now no need buy furikake from the store.

ps Looking at the date, I musta missed this post when I was working on Kauai. Yikes.

K and S said...

no problem Rowena, I'm glad you're making your own furikake :)

Take care.
Kat