Sunday, November 18, 2007

culture shock

The other day I went to the market and saw all these people crowded around something in the produce section. When you see a crowd or line in Japan, you know something good is happening (usually anyway).

I went closer and realized that they were stuffing mikan (mandarin oranges) into plastic bags. I looked at the sign and it said tsumehoudai (all you can pack) 300 yen (about US$2.50).

I've seen this on television at many Tokyo supermarkets. The store puts an item on special and gives you a really low price for what you can stuff into the bag they give you. Some of those people on the television stuffed 60 weiners into their bags or 20 carrots. Sometimes it is a timed event, like a half hour or 10 minutes, so most people are in a frenzy trying to get the most of the items into their bags.

So I grabbed a bag and tried getting into the crowd. Those older women and men are brutal! They were blocking the boxes of mikan and really stuffing their bags. I thought the mikan would smash the way they were stuffing them in. You could hear chatter amongst them and one woman was saying how someone had stuffed 19 into their bag so she wanted at least that much.

The produce guy felt sorry for me and let me take my mikan from his cart, I felt each one as I put it into my bag and took 12. (6 days worth of mikan for our breakfasts.)

When I went to the check-out, the lady at the register said, "you can fit about 6 more into your bag". (If you look at the photo, there is still some room at the top. The top of the bag also had a "handle", so there are two holes near the top.)

I told her I didn't want to buy too many and have them spoil before we could eat them.

Then the lady in back of me put in her 2 cents..."yeah, you should get more and put more in"

After paying, I could hear the cashier and the lady that was in back of me continuing on their conversation as to how I could have put more into my bag.

It was a great way to get a lot of mikan for a low price, but I don't think I want to go through that again.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

apparently, shoppers have developed it into a science.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Great post! I have heard of this phenomenon...but never from someone who actually experienced it. I can't imagine getting pushed out of the way by the little old ladies...but I guess years of doing this toughens them up!

K and S said...

Thanks Caffienated Cowgirl, those little old ladies can move when it comes to a bargain!

Apparently so, Ronw! :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Chibog in Chief said...

LOL, cant help my self but laugh reading your cute adventure with mikan..just like you i used to be a gaijin in japan four years ago. i lived there for 6 years...i tell you every monday and or when it rains everything is normally on big discount or on tsumehodai..and i always find myself in the middle of these oldies shoppers fighting each other..:-) nice food blog you've got here

K and S said...

Thanks Dhanggit, I'm glad I brought a smile to you.

Thanks for stopping by and take care.
Kat

The Chocolate Nerd said...

Some people don't know how to act when it comes to free stuff or bargains. lol And they think you're insane if you don't take advantage like they do. My grandmother thinks I'm crazy if I don't use coupons or go out of my way to shop for a good bargain. Who has the time??? I feel like there are times when you can catch a great sale, and other times when a bargain is more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for cracking me up. This is a great story. I hope you enjoy your mikan, sounds like you worked hard for them! Best, Imani

bourgogne said...

lol. i can totally envision my mom cramming 800 mikan into a tiny bag.

K and S said...

Thanks Imani! I'm glad I brought a laugh your way.

I can totally see your mom doing the same, Bourgogne! :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

LOL! What an experience! I'm not sure I'd want to go through that either. Like you, I'd take just enough and not more. And I wouldn't want to be fighting to get the food. ;-)

Paz

K and S said...

Fighting for food is not fun at all, Paz.

Thanks for stopping by. Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

This made me smile Kat. I'm slowly catching up on all your adventures I've missed on my two months away.

K and S said...

I'm glad I sent a smile your way Barbara. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures as well.

Take care.
Kat

Pandabonium said...

Found your blog through Karashi-News from Japan. Maybe too much food for me to safely visit very often (just kidding), ;^) but of interest as I am from Hawaii too (Maui) and live in Kashima, Ibaraki with my wife who is Japanese.

We have a mikan tree in our yard that decided to produce in abundance this year. I've given many away to neighbors and of course relatives come over to pick them too, so I try to keep some for ourselves and happily there are a lot. (Kind of like mangoes in Hawaii - I won't give you mine if you don't give me yours).

Anyway, nice blog. Cheers.

K and S said...

That is so cool, Pandabonium! I wish I had a yard so that I could plant all sorts of fruit trees and plants :) I'm jealous!

Take care.
Kat

lina said...

I think the old ladies felt that they have immunity - you can't push them back because they're old and you can't yell to them because they are old.

K and S said...

You are probably right, Lina! :)

Thanks for stopping by. Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Over here in Malaysia and Singapore where people are kiasu or 'afraid to lose' (sorry if i'm over-generalising), i would think that that wouldn't be a culture shock at all.

Haha, i think Malaysians would shove and shove more than the bag can possibly fit and even take a few bags of those oranges home. The more you get for your money, the better. XD

BYE!

http://usws.isgreat.org

K and S said...

Thanks for stopping by USWS!

Take care.
Kat