Wednesday, August 08, 2007

udon yamato

A couple of months ago, I received an email from a guy named Blake. He wanted me to check out his favorite place that served an awesome tempura curry udon. He was worried that customer traffic was down and that if they didn't have much business they would close and thought that maybe my blog could help.

Well, the marketplace was deserted by noon, but not to worry Blake, the udon shop was packed. We got there at about noon and there were several people waiting in front of us. The seating was small, only about 12 seats. Since there were only the two of us, we had to share our table with two other guys.

The restaurant is called Udon Yamato in an area called Daikokucho and located inside the Kizuichiba (Kizu Marketplace). They are only open until 1:30 p.m. and not on Sundays, Mondays or holidays.

When you line up, a waitress comes out to ask you your order, listening to what everyone ordered you'll realize that there is really only one item worth ordering....ten kare udon (tempura curry udon).

They give you a paper bib (which you REALLY need). Sitting across two people we didn't know, I was nervous. My chopsticks skills aren't too good, and I've been know to have food "fly" from my chopsticks.

They serve the ten kare udon in a LARGE bowl and top it with 2 shrimp tempura, a scallop tempura, eggplant tempura, lotus root tempura, asparagus tempura and a kakiage(tempura with mixed veggies), and there is more...a nice serving of gyusuji (seasoned thin slices of stringy beef), lots of green onion and kaiware (radish sprouts).

I was surprised at how thick the curry was, usually other shops "water down" the curry with their broth. The curry starts off temperature hot but not spicy and then the spices kick in and makes you perspire buckets!

The price is a bit high for curry udon (1570 yen--about US$13), but the volume and the toppings make it worth every yen(penny)!

If you get a chance to visit this area of Osaka, be sure to check this place out! Be sure to bring a little towel to wipe the perspiration off your forhead.

Udon Yamato
located in the Kizu Ichiba

Take the Midosuji line to Daikokucho, get out at the #1 exit.
From the #1 exit, turn around and walk to the corner and turn right, go straight until the road ends, this is Kizu Ichiba.

As you face the building, the entrance to the building is on the left, enter the building and the shop is the second one from the entrance.

Open Tuesdays to Saturday, 4:30 am to 1:30pm.
Phone: 06-6632-0494

Thanks for the tip, Blake!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat, that is just..just AWESOME! that last pic, I mean, couldn't you do a recipe post on this? I love it when readers contact you on a question regarding restaurants/food. I find it one of the best ways to discover new eats!

K and S said...

Rowena,

I've actually received lots of emails regarding advice as to where to travel in Kyoto, Osaka. Pretty fun giving advice and really nice to receive tips on eats too :) (I hope the people who asked for advice had a nice trip.)

I'll probably try re-creating this during autumn or winter, just too hot to be standing near the stove!

Take care!
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

That dish looks really good! I recently went to Maui and got introduced to "Da Kitchen" you can read about it on my blog. I couldn't finish the Kalua Pork because this place is known for giving HUGE portions. Take care!

K and S said...

I'll check out your post, Laura, it sounds delicious!

Take care.
Kat

Parisbreakfasts said...

That looks soooooo YUMMY!
And worth every yen :)

Kathy YL Chan said...

Hey Kat!
Holey moley that looks fantastic!! I suppose we could get curry udon in hawaii and a dish of tempura on the side...but it wouldn't come nearly as close to what you had. I know I already said it, but it does look really, really, like SUPER really good! :) i wish i could eat it off the page!

K and S said...

Thanks Carol and Kathy, it was worth it and tasted great. I don't think I've had curry udon in Hawaii with/without the tempura.

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Kat thanks for sending the kimono image...I think I know what I'll be using my sewing machine for when I finally get one! That outfit is TOO CUTE!

As for getting over to your neck-of-the-woods, for now I'll just have to be content at reading your blog. I actually dreamt about this kare udon. You take the prize in posting the best droolworthy dish of the week. (It's the tempura that got me!)

K and S said...

I'm glad you like the picture, Rowena, I hope you can re-create it. If I can find the pattern online, I'll definitely send it to you. :)

Oh, I'm glad I made you drool too. Gosh, knows how often you've made me drool with your pics.

Take care.
Kat
p.s. I'm enjoying "A Walk in the Woods", almost finished.