Sunday, August 26, 2007

organic beer

Awhile back, a fellow blogger, Martin, posted about Japanese organic beer, here. I don't know if it was the word "organic" or the word "beer" or a combo of both that piqued my interest, but I wanted to try it. The other day, I happened upon it at the market, so I picked up a couple to try.

Made by the Yahho Brewing Company, they have several beers. (Yahho by the way, is what the Japanese yell in the mountains as a kind of yodel, kind of like Yode-lehi-hoo (sorry don't know how to spell it) in other countries.) The organic one is called Shinshu San-San. Shinshu is an area in Nagano prefecture that is known for their soba(buckwheat noodles) and beautiful mountains and san-san (means to shine brilliantly). On the can it is written sun sun (the sun shining brilliantly, get it??). Both the hops and malt are 100% organic from Germany. I was surprised that it was relatively inexpensive. I would have thought since it was organic that it would have been more pricey. I was also surprised that this beer was a little fruity and the foam didn't last too long on top. It still went nicely with the spareribs and cole slaw I made for dinner on Saturday.

Another beer made by this company is called Yona Yona Ale. (I'm not sure if yona yona means something) This beer has won several awards and was more expensive than the organic one. It is also a bit darker than the organic one. And like the organic one, is a little fruity, but I think I like this one better. It paired nicely with the okonomiyaki that I made for dinner tonight.

They also have a dark one which I am really interested in trying, hopefully it will appear in the supermarkets around here.

Hope you are enjoying the weekend, have a nice week.

2 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

Organic beer! I'd be seduced by both words too!

K and S said...

Thanks Jaden!

Thanks for stopping by, take care.
Kat