Tuesday, August 14, 2007

hiyashi chuka

Ever since summer started I've been wanted to eat this--hiyashi chuka. Apparently, when you plate it you are supposed to mound it up and it is supposed to look like Mount Fuji. Also, all the ingredients you use are supposed to represent the different seasons, like pink ham for spring, green cucumber for summer, brown menma (seasoned bamboo shoots) for autumn and white itokanten (stringy agar-agar) for winter.

I couldn't find a recipe that replicated this, so I used the one that I found on the internet.

I need to doctor up the sauce because it wasn't quite what I had in mind. Plus, I want to find thinner noodles. Still, it was a really refreshing dinner.

Hiyashi chuka translated from the internet
Serves 2
2 bundles of chinese noodles
sliced ham or yakibuta (roast pork)
diced tomato
julienned cucumber
egg made thin like a crepe

Sauce:
1/2 cup chinese soup
2 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1-1/3 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Cook your noodles according to the package and chill in an ice bath.
Top with all the toppings.
Pour some of the sauce over your noodles.
Enjoy with a dab of japanese mustard.

NOTES: I think you could substitute somen for the noodles and top with your favorite veggies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I'm prepping something very similar for tonight's dinner: hiyashi somen. It uses somen noodles (of course) and fresh ginger, but without the Mt. Fuji pile of pork. Good on a hot day...

K and S said...

Your version sounds delicious Alan! I hope you post about it.

Take care and thanks for stopping by.

Kat

Parisbreakfasts said...

I have to say that this is one of those crazy Japanese concoctions that always confounded me when I was in Japan..
It's so UN Japanese!!IMO
Not that I ever tasted this and I did lap up all the non-Japanese ice creams and smoothies and desserts, so who am I to say anything :)

K and S said...

You are right, Carol, it isn't traditional Japanese, but it does taste good! :)

Thanks for stopping by and take care.
Kat