Tuesday, May 15, 2007

toba (food)

When you stay at a hotel or ryokan (Japanese inn), more than likely they will serve you a kaiseki dinner. Kaiseki is a meal that is served in many courses and in tiny portions. The thing I don't like about kaiseki is that there is always way too much food that is served. I was probably brought up to eat what was on my plate and that was it, no seconds. In Japan, everything comes in tiny dishes or plates and is kind of hard for me to pace myself and graze. Another thing I don't like about kaiseki is that if they don't give you a layout of what is being served, you don't really know what you're eating, which can be good at times.

If you have allergies, you should tell them when making your reservations, this way they can prepare a special meal for you.

This is what a kaiseki looks like before you start eating. When you start to eat, if there are more courses involved, then the nakai-san (like a maid & waitress combined) will come and bring more food (I think that is what the other table space to the right is for). So, this is what we had for dinner. Now, I'm not too sure about everything, so I will probably tell you what I can and let the photos tell the rest.

There was half a crab.


Do-bin mushi (asari (Japanese little necks) with maitake (hen of the woods) cooked in an earthen tea pot)

Awabi steak (Abalone steak)


Ise-ebi (spiny lobster) cooked with mayonnaise.

Sashimi (raw sliced fish) platter with sazae (horned turban), maguro (tuna), ise-ebi (spiny lobster), tai (sea bream).

Tai shabu shabu (sea bream and veggies that are swished in a konbu (kelp) stock) then eaten with a sesame dipping sauce).

Dessert was a little matcha mousse gelee with some type of citrus (I think it might have been grapefruit or the local tachibana( a type of orange) with a red fruity gelee on top.

Whew! (see we went onto the other table to the right)....

As for omiyage (souvenirs) there is

Akafuku--a mochi (rice cake) that is covered with koshian (smooth bean paste). You can actually buy this in Osaka, but it originated in Ise.

They give you this little wooden paddle to scoop it out.

Delicious!

Then there is Shinto Beer. Ise is an area that is known for their many Shinto shrines. This beer is said to have been started in the 1800's. We haven't tried this, but it sounded good.

And from Mikimoto, madeleines shaped like oysters. They are not your ordinary madeleines, they are made with a special calcium taken from pearls. This was buttery and delicious.

There are also many vacuum packed seafood items or fresh seafood items you can buy and have sent within Japan.

Did you enjoy this foodie travel adventure? I sure did. Have a great week.

12 comments:

Cass said...

Delicious seafood!

Perhaps I'm just a pig, but I really like eating kaiseki style. When there's just a little bit of each thing, I tend to savour it more. Also, how else would I ever have tried fish jelly?

OkiHwn said...

What an awesome meal!

K and S said...

You are right about being able to savor a little of everything, Cass. But I guess for me, I get full really fast!

Thanks OkiHwn, the crab took the longest to eat!

Take care you two!
Kat

ilingc said...

Wow. What a feast! One of the things I regretted about not trying when I was in Japan was a kaiseki dinner. :( However, that's made me even more determined to go back! :D

K and S said...

You should come back in the Autumn or Winter, there are more hot pots and seafood items then, Ilingc :)

Take care.
Kat

Anita said...

I love how everything is so beautifully presented in Japan. It looks like a fabulous meal!

2kamuela47 said...

An interesting trip and the food looks awesome. Unfortunately for me I can't have shellfish and MSG anymore, there goes most of the oriental cuisine. But I won't get an allergic reaction from viewing photos :o) Take care!

Laura

K and S said...

Sometimes they make things too beautiful to eat, Anita!

Sorry you can't have shellfish and MSG, Laura, I don't like MSG myself.

Take care you two!
Kat

Anonymous said...

What a feast!
Yes, I did enjoyed it! Thanks. :)

K and S said...

Glad you enjoyed it Sue!

Take care and thanks for stopping by.

Kat

Rinshinomori said...

Hi there - enjoy reading your blog - almost read the whole thing in two days (whew!!!). Which ryokan was this that you stayed in Toba?

K and S said...

Nona,

The hotel we stayed at is called Senpokaku.

Gosh, you read the whole blog?? Wow!

Take care.
Kat