Sunday, May 20, 2007

hey, don't smoke that here!

That's what I wish I could tell all the people who smoke in Japan.

Anyway, Satoshi plopped this box onto my computer the other morning and said, "Please smoke this". (Aside from the one time my dad let us take a puff on his nasty cigar when we were little, I tried cigarettes another time in college just to have the alcohol run through my body faster...but that is a bit too much information and another story.)

The box says Orion's Cocoa Cigarette and is made by Orion Star Candy Company. I was intrigued because growing up we had something similar--a cigarette-like gum wrapped with paper and when you put it to your mouth and pushed air into the "cigarette", a little puff of sugary "smoke" floated out, giving you the feeling like you were really smoking, or that was what I thought when I was little anyway.

But upon opening these I was a bit disappointed.

It was hard candy in the shape of sticks...No puff of "smoke". This cocoa candy is also flavored with hakka (peppermint). This candy has been around in Japan since the 1950's. It reminded me of those chocolate Velamints (gosh, those are a blast from the past! I had to ask around because I couldn't remember the name of those candies! Thanks Steph & Wen!).

Anyway, if everyone that smokes in Japan or the world decides to "smoke" these instead, I think I could live with it.

6 comments:

nordwolke said...

Cigarettes make the alcohol run faster through your body? That is why I always get sick if I smoke a cigarette when drunk. I stopped smoking a few years ago though. I know bubblegum cigarettes from my childhood, too!

K and S said...

Wow, you had them in your childhood too? That is neat, Beadexplorer.

Yes, I used to get sick too, if I drank too much and then smoked.

Take care.
Kat

nordwolke said...

Yes, we had also chocolate cigarettes. Chocolate sticks wrapped with paper that looked like cigarettes. Do you also know these?

K and S said...

I think I like your version better, Beadexplorer!

Take care.
Kat

ilingc said...

When you said it was peppermint flavoured the first thing that popped into my mind was Marlboro Menthols! Oops...
No, I don't smoke, but my Alv did and he used to like the menthol cigarettes. ;)

I'm sure I used to have something similar when I was growing up in Malaysia, but I just can't recall the name of it.

I do agree with you that if everyone in Japan smoked these, it would make life so much better :D
I found the dining experience very difficult in Japan especially when someone lights up right next to you while you're trying to enjoy your meal. I guess it's a real luxury that smoking in restaurants is outlawed in Melbourne.

K and S said...

I know what you are talking about Ilingc and no one ever asks if you would mind if they lit up too! Smoking and non-smoking sections are sometimes right next to each other. I hate it when you are eating and someone lights up after they are done with their meal. I usually don't go back to these places.