Tuesday, May 08, 2007

esaka

Today Satoshi had the day off so we went to Esaka for lunch. Esaka is a town about 30 minutes by bus from where we live.

The place we went to have lunch at Au Garage, was featured in a foodie magazine a couple of years back. I had it noted down, but because we have to catch a bus, we don't always come around this area. The reason the restaurant is called Au Garage is that it used to be the garage of the condo that is above it, plus the chef always wanted to race for a living.

The interior of the place looks like you walked into an auto body shop,

the cutlery comes in a little tool box along with a cute little wrench!

and even the utensil rests are unique.

We chose their B-lunch which was an appetizer, a main, dessert and a drink 1500yen (about $15) tax included.

Satoshi's appetizer: marinated rakkyo (pickled onion) and seseri (the neck meat of a chicken).

Satoshi's main dish: braised madai (a type of sea bream) on a bed of amaebi (northern shrimp) risotto.

Kat's appetizer: smoked chicken breast with apple salad.

Kat's main: roasted lamb with an espresso sauce on a bed of asparagus, haricot verts and cannelini beans.

Dessert: blueberry mousse pie with yogurt sorbet

Oh my gosh! everything tasted great. Plus, they give you bread to mop up all of the sauces. I really liked the lamb with espresso sauce--it was kind of sweet but there were still hints of bitter espresso in it.

I think next time we eat here we should have a glass of wine with our meal.

Au Garage
18-1 E Gate 1st floor Toyotsu
Suita, Osaka
Phone: 06-6386-5583
Closed Sundays & Holidays
Open 11:30-14:00 and 17:00-23:00

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please eat there again!! I love the whole concept of getting fancy fare at a place that resembles a garage. The cutlery in a toolbox...haha...now that is cute!

Anonymous said...

yay for utensil rests! that place looks fun. i like how the japanese reinvent restaurant settings. -bourgogne

catalyst0527 said...

The interior of this restaurant is really interesting. It's very unique!

And the roasted lamb with an espresso sauce looks very yummi.
If I have a chance to go to Osaka, I'll stop by this restaurant & have this roasted lamb. :)

Your blog is very well organized and interesting.
Can I add your blog into my 'Intriguing Blog list'?

2kamuela47 said...

Kat,

That restaurant is awesome! I've never had lamb and someday I will try it. Is lamb easy to prepare? As always your scones are fabulous! Take care!

Laura

K and S said...

We will definitely go back Rowena!

I like those utensil rests too, Bourgogne. Maybe I could re-create them with some spare nuts & bolts :)

Happy to hear you like this blog Catalyst, I'd be happy if you added me to your list.

I've never prepared lamb either, Laura, but I'm sure it is pretty easy to do.

Take care everyone!
Kat

aaninoue8 said...

Waaah the interior is awesome!!neat!!plus the food is okay too right?yummah

K and S said...

food was good aainoue8 :)

Take care.
Kat