Friday, March 09, 2007

pineapple room

My cousin, D is in town for a couple of days for a conference. Since she finished at about lunchtime and since her friend who she was supposed to meet up with had to cancel, my aunty called and asked if I would like to join them for lunch.

Since her conference was near the Ala Moana Shopping Center, we met there and went to the Pineapple Room.

The Pineapple Room is a somewhat casual restaurant by my favorite island chef, Alan Wong. (For those of you who may have watched this season's "Top Chef", he was a guest chef towards the final episodes--I only know this because I got to see the re-runs when I came back in January!)

Anyway, the Pineapple Room has been recognized for serving "the best burger in Hawaii"--so that is what D and I chose.

She chose "The Pineapple Room Burger"(US $13.08)--this one is huge! North Shore Cattle Company's Kiawe(mesquite) Grilled Burger with onion rings, thick bacon, cheddar cheese and an avocado salsa. If you like Tex-Mex, this one is definitely for you!

I chose "the Old Fashion" North Shore Cattle Company burger with sauteed onions and mushrooms, cheddar cheese, a mustard mayo all on an onion bun (US $13.08).

Both burgers came with a choice of fries, wasabi(Japanese horseradish) potato salad or tossed greens.

We cut our burgers in half and swapped to taste both! Delicious!

So, if ever you find yourself at the mall and hungry from all that shopping, stop by and try these burgers, definitely worth it!

Pineapple Room (UPDATE: 2018 no longer in business)
Ala Moana Shopping Center, inside of Macy's, 3rd floor
Phone: 808.945.6573

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my lord...those do look humungous! I think I'd go for the one you ordered though...all those onions---Yum-Mee!

K and S said...

sauteed onions are so ono! those burgers were way to large though, I ended up not eating much dinner, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat

Jann said...

whoa-my mouth doesn't open up that wide! They both look delicious-

K and S said...

I used a knife and fork, Jann! :) They both were great!

Hope you are enjoying the weekend.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Oh my god - those burgers look like heart-stoppers!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes using a knife and fork for burgers :P

K and S said...

If I could open my mouth wide enough for these burgers, Ellie, I would have, but the knife and fork seemed like the best way rather than get locked-jaw on them! ;)

Take care.
Kat

jasmine said...

Kat

Those burgers look absolutely delicious! I've been craving burger like your "Old Fashioned" sandwich.

yummy yummy...

j

Anonymous said...

Burgers look scrumptious! I like the name of the restaurant, too. I like pineapples. ;-)))

Paz

Barbara said...

My first thought was "you'd need a big mouth to eat those". Seems everyone else thought the same!

K and S said...

I hope you're able to get your hands on a burger soon, Jasmine!

The burgers were great and I like pineapples too, Paz!

You do need a big mouth to eat this, Barbara, but I used a knife and fork ;)

Take care everyone!
Kat