Sunday, December 03, 2006

dashimaki tamago

Well, the weather has turned wintry overnight. I think the temperature dropped 5 degrees yesterday. The blustery winds didn't help either...Brr.

I had some dashi (stock) left over from my okara (soy bean curd lees) "creations", which I posted about here and here, so to use up some of it, I made dashimaki tamago (a type of rolled omlette).

Here's my recipe:
1 ladleful of dashi (stock)-can be either katsuo (bonito) or kombu (kelp) or combination of both
1 teaspoon of shoyu (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon of mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
2 eggs

1. Put all ingredients into a bowl and beat with fork or chopsticks
2. Heat special egg pan, when ready, add 1/3 of egg to the pan
3. Rolling the egg from the rounded end of the pan (pink arrow on photo), in the direction of the other end of the pan (green arrow)
4. Move completed roll back to the rounded end of the pan and pour a little more of the egg mixture into the pan.
5. Re-roll the omlette.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all of egg mixture is gone.

NOTE: If you add sugar to the mixture, the egg mixture will brown quickly, so you'll have to keep an eye on it.

I didn't add sugar to the omlette today, instead I added chopped green onions. You can also add iwanori (a soft type of seaweed) or shirasuboshi(Kanto name)/chirimenjakko(Kansai name) (dried young anchovies (Eastern Japan)/(Western Japan)).

Also, I grated daikon (long white radish) and put it on top of the omlette.

Before eating, I poured a little shoyu (soy sauce on top). It went well with rakkyo (pickled shallots), ume (pickled plum), iwanori (soft seaweed) and rice.

A note about the rolling technique: I think you are actually supposed to be able to roll the omlette along with just a pair of chopsticks, but since my chopstick skills are a bit lacking, I usually use a spatula in one hand and a pair of cooking chopsticks in the other to guide it along.

Hope you have a great week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, we make a similar thing at home - and don't worry, we use the spatula too ;)

K and S said...

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one using the spatula! ;)

Take care, Ellie!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I was so tempted to buy rectangular frying pan to make nicely shaped maki tamago.
I didn't buy it though, (I want to be patient as much as possible until I move to Australia.) I can't guarantee how long I can wait for it. :)

I can't imagine myself using chopsticks to roll the eggs. It is very high technique.

K and S said...

Hi Sue,

I'm not sure where you will be moving to in Australia. But, if they don't have a lot of Asians where you will be moving to, it might be best to invest in a pan before you move. Try to get one with a non-stick coating otherwise you'll have to keep it oiled like a chinese wok.

Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat- your dashimaki looks great! I haven't had it for a long time, maybe I should take the pan back with me next time I go to Japan...

K and S said...

Thank you Keiko! I hope the next time you come home, you'll pick up a pan, they do come in handy!

Thanks for stopping by.

Kat