Sunday, October 01, 2006

pizza!

Yesterday's dinner was pizza! Inspired by Kitchen Wench's post, (here).

I decided to mesh her recipe for her dough to the one that comes with the yeast packets.

Here's what I came up with: Pizza Dough: makes one 12" pie.
300g (3 cups) flour
1 sachet instant dry yeast (6g)
pinch of salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp olive oil

Mix flour, yeast together.
Add salt, water and oil. Combine well.
Turn onto floured board and knead.
Let rest for 50 minutes.
Knead again.
Let rest for another 10 minutes.
Roll out and add sauce and toppings.
Bake at 200C(400F) on pizza stone for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!

Toppings: store bought pasta sauce, eggplant, red bell pepper, mushrooms, thinly sliced red onion, salami, several grinds of fresh pepper. Cheeses: mozzarella, emmental (a type of swiss) and parmigiano-reggiano. I pre-cooked the eggplant and red bell pepper to take out most of the moisture and pre-cooked the salami to take out the oil.

The pizza really poofed up! I think I should have pricked the dough like Ellie did. Still, it tasted great!

Notes: Next time, I will make my own sauce, the store bought one was a bit too watery. And I will add some Italian seasoning to the dough to give it more flavor. Will also try to roll out the dough thinner and prick it. And at the end, put it under the broiler to give it a little more crispiness.

It is a rainy and cold first day of October...I had to make a quick trip to the D.I.Y. store to pick up new tulip bulbs. The ones we had from last year were all clear and a bit soft...ick! I planted the new bulbs--so we'll have to wait until April to see what happens!

Have a good week!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo, looks delish! To make the base a bit crispier, pricking it and parbaking like you would with a tart pastry most definetely helps :) And it takes a few tries to find your ideal crust thickness, so experimenting with how thin you roll them out is always interesting too!

I'm going to have to give your idea of adding seasoning to the dough a try, definetely a good one!

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie, it was good, will definitely give your tip about pre-baking and pricking the dough a try!

Take care and thanks for stopping by!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Brava, Kat!

Hai fatto una pizza incredible!

Great pizza. I actually like that it poofed up as I secretly enjoy thicker pizzas. Don't tell anyone.

:o)

Anonymous said...

yumm pizza! ANyway, Hello :)

K and S said...

Thanks Ivonne! Your secret is safe with me :)

Thanks Swee & hello!

Take care you two!

Kat

bourgogne said...

you inspired me to make a pizza tonight!

K and S said...

Hi Bourgogne,

Can't wait to see your pizza! :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat

bourgogne said...

oops. we ate it. i must remember to take more food photos :D

K and S said...

Oh boo! Next time for sure, Bourgogne!

Kat