Thursday, September 07, 2006

hokkaido sights

We're back from a week in Hokkaido.

Hokkaido is the northernmost and second largest of Japan's islands. The population in Hokkaido is only 5% of Japan's total population.

Instead of posting about the whole trip in gory detail, I've decided to break the trip down into 3 categories: sights, seafood and sweets.

Hokkaido has many rolling hills and wide fields. Here's a photo of the "patchwork" fields as seen from the plane.

There are also many lakes, such as Lake Kussharo as seen from Mihorotoge (Mihoro pass). While the U.K. has their Nessie, Hokkaido has their Kusshi--which is rumored to live there...






In the Akan area, lakes Penke and Panke (although you can only see Penke).

Also in the Akan area, a lake called Onneto, the mountain on the left is Meakan (it is still active and has actual steam coming out from up top to prove it!), the one on the right is called Akan-fuji and is supposed to resemble Mt. Fuji.

In Kushiro, there is a large marshland area. Some parts of this place reminded me of an African grassland (not that I've visited Africa, but I think this is what it would look like...).

In the fields, you'll see all these HUGE rolls, which reminded me of cheese...they are actually bails of hay. Apparently, they wrap them in plastic to store during the winter and also to ship across country.
The Eastern and Northern areas of Hokkaido are VERY close to Russia territories, there are many signs in Russian all around in these parts.

During the winter, most of the roads are snowed over, these arrows mark the edge of the road.

The flora of Hokkaido: sunflowers in Furano.

Hamanasu--a rose which grows along the sea coasts.

Mizosoba--persicana thumbergii

Tsurifunesou--Impatiens textori

Sawagikyou--Lobelia sessilifolia lamb

Tsuriganeninjin--adenophora triphylla

Lavender from Miyamatoge (Miyama pass)--an area near Furano. I got these as a secret present from the gardener who was trimming the lavender plants. He told me to hide them from his employer....shhh....

This huge field was filled with potatoes which were harvested.

The sunset and skies in Hokkaido were beautiful too. Here is just a portion of what we saw in Furano.

One of my favorite photos, cosmos taken against the light of the sun.

Hope you're enjoying the adventure...will bring you the next two parts soon!

4 comments:

Rowena said...

Well you gotta love that multi-lingual toilet sign. That is too cool!

I know what you mean about "breaking the trip down", it gets so confusing to try and organize all the photos, infos, and whatever else you've acquired from a vacation. The pics you've posted here...just awesome! I especially admire the field and sky photos. Are you using a different camera for those shots? The quality seems different.

I saw your entry on Ivonne's site (or Lis?). You made me yearn for Hawaii!

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,

I thought those Russian signs were cool too! Thanks for your kind comment about the pics. Some of the pics had to be taken with my cell phone because I forgot to bring the charger for my digital camera.
I was yearning for Hawaii myself when I made the entry for the party at Ivonne & Lis'. Made me think of pot luck at the office or a family get together. :)

Take care.

Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat,

Awesome pictures! Some day I will journey to Japan. I'm back from Boston. I had a great time and the food was really good. Everyone is waiting for my slideshow of the trip. In time, but in the interim I am slowly updating by blog. Take care!

Laura

K and S said...

Hi Laura,

Glad you had a nice time in Boston. Let me know if you get a chance to come this way.
Take care.

Kat