Monday, August 21, 2006

reisei pasta (part 2)


Well, the repairman came at 3pm--at the point where I was almost melting. Thanks for all your well wishes...somehow I survived.

It turned out to be the freon--or whatever gas they are using these days in air conditioners.

Anyway, if we have problems, we're to call them again and they'll probably change the unit.

Since I was feeling overheated, I decided to make "reisei pasta" for dinner. I've eaten it before which I posted about here, but never made it myself, so I decided to make my first batch of "reisei pasta".

It was relatively easy to make.

Here is the recipe translated from Japanese and adapted from Yahoo Japan's recipes
320 g spaghetti (cappellini)
32 g salt
4 small tomatoes
15-20 leaves of basil
1 clove of garlic
2-3 Tbsp of powdered cheese
1 tsp of salt
pepper to taste
2 Tbsp EVOO
olives (optional)
powdered cheese (optional to garnish)

First take the skins off the tomatoes by putting them in hot water. Dig out the seeds and cut into bite size pieces. Next chiffonade the basil. Mince the garlic.

In a bowl, put the tomatoes, garlic, powdered cheese, EVOO, salt and pepper. Mix well and chill.

In a boiling pot, add the 32g of salt and prepare the spaghetti as directed on the package.

After boiling the noodles, put the noodles into a sieve and rinse. Shake out as much water as you can. Then put the noodles into an ice bath. Shake out the water.

Mix the noodle with the bowl of tomatoes and other ingredients. Garnish with basil, olives and more cheese.

Enjoy!

Notes: I used "real" parmesan instead of the powdered stuff and also added more veggies like peppers, onions, okra and asparagus. I also added capers and a little more pepper before serving. I couldn't find fresh basil, so I sprinkled some dry basil to the bowl of tomatoes. It was really refreshing and tasty.

p.s. I switched this blog over to the beta version of Blogger, hopefully it won't affect anyone from accessing this blog.

No comments: