Wednesday, August 09, 2006

sweet treat

Since I was near Umeda for a lesson tonight, I stopped in Hanshin Department Store and picked up these truffles made by Mon Loire. This chocolate maker's main store is in Okamoto, Kobe. When I studied abroad, the university I studied at was in Okamoto. I've always wanted to try them, but never got around to until now. They are good!

Don't you love the packaging? They actually put it into an insulated bag with a little ice pack. Sometimes I think Japan overdoes it a bit with the packaging, but wouldn't this make you feel special?

I got the 5-piece assortment called "coffret". (I looked it up and "coffret" means jewelry box in French.) These "little jewels" were delicious.
From the left clockwise: "hazelnut" (hazelnut ganache with a cashew on top), "mocha" (a creamy coffee flavored ganache), "stardust" (shaped like the moon and filled with espresso ganache), "ananas" (a pineapple ganache with coconut flakes around the outside), and "black tea" (earl grey ganache). I actually wanted more dark chocolate ones, but those had alcohol in them :(

Hope your week is going well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm, chocolate! I am not fan of alcohol filled chocolate neither !

K and S said...

Hi Bea,

Somehow chocolates with alcohol are kind of strong tasting and the chocolate flavor is usually lost.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat

Rowena said...

OMG! I am so envious! Pineapple ganache with coconut flakes...oooh yeah! BTW, you know, I thought of you when I wrote about "finishing with anything really, really chocolate" in that melon post!

K and S said...

aww, you're so sweet, Rowena!

Have a nice weekend!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat,
I love Japanese packaging - most elaborate and beautiful in the world, I think! I often save the boxes from Japan because they're too pretty to throw away. The chocolates look yummy!

Anonymous said...

Kat,

I don't think I know anyone that knows as much about chocolate as you do and that tries as many different types as you do. You're my hero!!!

K and S said...

Hi Anita,
Yes, I sometimes save the boxes and re-use them to give little treats away in. Just put a little sticker over the brand name.

Hi Ivonne,
Awww, thanks! what can I say, I LOVE CHOCOLATE!

Have a nice weekend you two!

Kat

jasmine said...

How precious!

What a great name for a little box of edible jewels :)

j

K and S said...

Hi Jasmine,
Isn't it? And the "jewels" were good too ;)
Thanks for stopping by.
Kat