Monday, August 28, 2006

running into "things"

This post is somewhat of a rant. Now, I have found "creatures" in my food in Japan--a stink bug, a moth....and what did those restaurants do? Well, nothing really, they apologized and re-made the same dish, and I still had to pay for my meal--but I have never gone back!

Last night, Satoshi and I went to eat some Italian food at a restaurant that we've gone to several times in the past. We ordered our usual--a salad, pizza and pasta, all to share. The salad came, Satoshi took a bite, then looked at his plate and on his salad--was a roach...dead...but blah!

He calmly called the waitress over and showed her the culprit and she apologized and took everything to the kitchen. Immediately, a guy from the kitchen came and apologized and said they would make a different salad. We were leery but ate it. Our pizza and pasta came and each time someone brought something out they apologized...we drank our glasses of wine, and Satoshi even had another glass.

We went to pay and another guy from the kitchen (probably the manager) told us that everything was taken cared of. Now this kind of "service" NEVER, ever happens in Japan (or at least I've never experienced it). Everything costs something and rarely is anything free or comped, they just apologize and forget about their mistakes or errors after you accept their apology. Even at the grocery store if they price items wrong, they will NEVER give you the lesser price!

So, I was impressed by this restaurant and was ready to accept their offer while Satoshi on the other hand kept refusing (a Japanese thingy). In the end, our meal was comped but we decided that we'd wait awhile before going back to that restaurant.

Not to leave this story on a semi-bad note...We did get to have some good desserts at Cafe Comme ca ism afterwards...

Satoshi had a really fluffy cheese cake with a raspberry filling in the middle.
I had the chocolate tart. This tart was made with dark chocolate and had all kinds of nuts on top. It went really nicely with the cappucino that I ordered....except that I couldn't sleep afterwards....

Hope you have a great week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

just curious..how big was the roach?

K and S said...

Hi Miso,
It was about 1/2 an inch or so.
Thanks for stopping by!
Kat

Anonymous said...

wow, what a misadventure indeed! I would have freaked!

K and S said...

Hi Bea,

I would have freaked if it was in MY plate!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Oh, ewwww! I would have majorly freaked out if I'd spotted anything in my dish that wasn't meant to be there (I once found a hair in my omlette and shrieked so loudly the cafe manager came bolting over!)

At least the night's dining ended on a tasty note, those desserts look delightful!

K and S said...

Hi Ellie,
I think if it were in my plate, I might have screamed too.
The desserts were a nice distraction!
Have a great week!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat: I was at a tonkatsu place a few days ago with my mom and siblings. We saw a classic local roach crawl up the wall right next to us and my older sister had a FIT: kind of a mix between shock, disgust and terror. I don't want to imagine what would have happened if it had gotten on the table.

K and S said...

eww, Greg! if I saw the local sized one, I would have definitely freaked!
Thanks for stopping by!
Kat