Monday, August 14, 2006

fresh out of the oven

I'm so excited! This is the first time for me to make bread using yeast. Sure, I've made quick breads which had all the ingredients in their mixes and all I had to do was add water.

Making bread with yeast was a bit of a challenge, since I'd never used it before. Add to that, all the instructions were in Japanese. I followed the recipe that the packaged yeast came with to make butter rolls.

I've got to say that kneading the dough is quite fun! I used my surrounding elements--the heat and humidity to let the dough rise. An hour later was what the instructions called "the finger test"--sticking my finger in the middle to see if the dough was ready. Since the dough didn't bounce back up--it was ready!

Next was to press out the air and divide the dough into 12 pieces. Then let the pieces rest for 10 minutes, they called this "bench time". Then I rolled the pieces out and formed the rolls. Another 40 minutes and the rolls doubled in size and were ready to bake. I brushed each one with an egg wash and into the oven they went.

13 minutes later....mmm, delicious!

Now to clean up the mess in the kitchen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first yeast-leavened bread! They look absolutely gorgeous!

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie, they were delicious!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat,
Congrats on your bread - it looks so good! I don't often make bread at home because it's so time-consuming - I applaud anyone who does!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Always nice to do something for the first time, isn't it? It looks great!

K and S said...

Thanks Anita & Bea!
Am thinking of variations to try with this.
Take care and have a great week.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Isn't making yeast bread great! It's more time consuming but well worth the effort :)

K and S said...

Hi Joey,
I didn't realize how much time it took! Now I know and it is definitely worth it!
Thanks for stopping by!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Woohoo for Kat! Way to make bread!

K and S said...

Thanks Ivonne!