Sunday, May 14, 2006

take the time to...

Have you ever really wanted something? like a book that was out of print? What did you do?

For a little over a year, I was looking for a book for Satoshi. The book had to do with...no, not food...but, baseball!

Sometime last year, the book, "Tama wa tenten uchukan" by Akasegawa Shun, was featured on a television show and from that point on, I was determined to get it for Satoshi. I looked on the internet to see if bookstores in our area carried it, called around, but no one seemed to have it. I tried the used bookstores since the book had last been republished in 1995, it was over 10 years ago. We even tried our local library and they had the book on file, but didn't know if it was still in circulation...sigh...Hawaii also has the same used bookstore, so I've even looked there!!

And then last week...it happened...Satoshi and I went to the used bookstore to sell some of our old books. While they calculated the amount they would give us for our books, they told us to browse (this is of course, to get you to buy...). My usual pattern when we browse a used bookstore is to check all the usual areas for the book...(nope, he has that one, has that one...THIS IS THE ONE!! and there are two copies and it is in the 100yen area!!) I wanted to shout out to Satoshi, but the store has a kind of library atmosphere, so I walked over and showed him the book....he was so happy! We were happier because Satoshi had a 50yen-off coupon...55yen for it...it really pays to take the time to look!

Speaking of taking the time to look, while on one of my recent "roaming the aisles" trips, I found the New Tree Chocolate. I read about this chocolate on the Mighty Foods blog. New Tree Chocolates are from Belgium. I found some at a gourmet store here. I bought the flavor called Sexy. Intriguing name, yeah? This 73% dark chocolate with ginger in it. Will let you know how it is when I taste it.

Also while roaming the aisles, I found these interesting chocolates.

Cemoi's Fair Trade Organic Chocolates with orange and with quinoa in it.

A Russian chocolate which I couldn't read anything but the Japanese seal on the back of it and the 99% cacao on the front, I don't think it will be sweet, in fact I think it will be REALLY bitter, but wanted to try it anyway. (After some searching, I found out that this chocolate is made by Vernost Kachestvu.)

And to get into the spirit of this year's FIFA World Cup (soccer), I think Germany is hosting the event, Ritter Sport, a German chocolate maker, has come up with these cute chocolates with pictures of the soccer fans from around the world. Although, I think these are all milk chocolates (and crossing my fingers that none are white chocolates), I still wanted to try them. There is Espresso Crunch, Sunny Crisp and Golden Peanut.

Well, Satoshi is working today, so I'm just cleaning up and getting ready for our new shelving which will come tomorrow :)

Happy Mother's Day!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect post ... Satoshi gets the book he's wanted and you get lots of chocolate.

And we get to read about it!

Anonymous said...

Kat,
all that talk of chocolate is making me drool and wish that I had some of those unique ones...
take care,

Anonymous said...

hey kat, great find on satoshi's book...the title looks interesting...what is it about? if i ever find a copy, maybe i'd want to read it, too...will check kinokuniya nex time i'm in s.f....

K and S said...

Hi Ivonne,

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Debi,

You should check out "Down to Earth" they have a lot of good, unique ones there too!

Hi Grant,

It's about creating a larger Japanese baseball league. Right now, they only have a total of 12 teams, but the book talks about making a team for each prefecture. Good Luck finding the book!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat