Friday, May 05, 2006

grilled salmon with tarragon sauce

When we were growing up, May 5 was remembered as Boy's Day. In many Japanese American families, koinobori or colorful decorated fish made from cloth were flown on a tall poles, one for every male in the family. This day is now called Children's Day in Japan.

Satoshi has been off since Wednesday for Golden Week. Today we had breakfast at our favorite cafe. It had been awhile since we had been there and the walk was nice. The weather is getting hotter, but at least it isn't humid...yet....
Tonight's dinner was Grilled Salmon with Tarragon Sauce. I found the recipe for the sauce on the internet and it came out really good, if I do say so myself. If you are trying to cut back mayonnaise in your diet, this sauce is a great substitute. :)
I didn't have shallots so I used onions. I didn't have fresh parsley, so I used dried. And we don't have nonfat yogurt here, so I just used plain yogurt with no sugar in it. The creaminess of the yogurt really matched with the onions, tomato, tarragon and parsley.

Tarragon Sauce
2 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons (8 g) chopped fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons (10 ml) crushed dried
1 cup (228 g) plain nonfat yogurt
1 medium plum tomato, 3 ounce (90 g), seeded and finely minced
1 tablespoon (9 g) minced flat-leaf parsley

Enjoy!

Satoshi will be off to Ayers Rock for the next week, so, I'll have to find something to keep myself busy...I think it might end up being his dirty laundry...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, i hope you had a great amazing trip!

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Sounds lovely Kat! And I especially love the sauce.

I also love all the different festivities you celebrate in Japan. We're too boring here ...

K and S said...

Hi Bea,

I had a nice time, thanks!

Hi Ivonne,

Don't you have tulip festivals about now? Those should be very nice. :)

I'm thinking to try this sauce with some smoked salmon on crostini or some other type of bread.

Take care you two!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, I love tarragon anything!! I once had a great chicken salad sandwich in Toronto (hometown)and it was flavored with tarragon, I think I will try this sauce to try to duplicate that. I think it might work! Thanks for sharing! :D

K and S said...

Hi TM,

Hope you like this. It is really easy to make.

Take care.

Kat